Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting bare shaft next to my normal arrows and the bare shaft was not consistent at all... It was all over the place. What would cause this? My fletched arrows are very consistent and accurate.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If your form and grip was consistant your bare shaft would hit the same spot everytime. Getting bareshafts to group with fletching is a bow tuning AND getting your form correct.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Search bareshaft tuning in the threads section. Lots of info. Especially the posts with nuts&bolts chiming in. He's like yoda with a bow

·
Registered
257 Posts
Honestly I am no tuning guru but I would say either your arrows or bow are out of tune or both. My bare shafts will impact perfectly with my fletched shafts at 20 yards and high at 30 and 40 because of lack of drag, yet they are still in line right to left.
I tune with just bare shafts before I even worry about fletching.
Just my 0.02 cents I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The fletching on your arrows provides flight correction. When you shoot a bareshaft, you get all of the gory details of your form and any bow tune imperfections. As others said, tuning both your form and bow can provide same impacts with bareshaft and fletched arrows.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been working on my form and grip for the past few weeks and feel it is good, many AT members agree with that... The arrow flew terribly every time and was all over the place in the air, when it hit the target it would be like one of the door stops on a trim piece behind the doors that springs and then vibrates forever... Could it be the arrow? I cut the fetching a off an arrow and wire brushed tit to get it smooth but it isn't perfect

·
Registered
812 Posts
Orrogue is also correct with spine. What is your full set up. Do you have a picture of your bareshafts and fletching hitting the target. Picture of form? Many things can affect the flight of the bareshaft.

·
Registered
17,259 Posts
Bare shafts can group in a different location from the fletched shafts and that would indicate a tuning issue but if your bare shafts aren't grouping together at all, it's going to be the archer.

Sounds like you need to work on from. With every 3-5 shot group of fletched shafts, fire 2 more bare shafts....keep doing this until bare shafts are slapping each other at 20 yards. Once you're consistently grouping bare shafts, then start looking at moving them to your fletched shafts

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
I have been working on my form and grip for the past few weeks and feel it is good, many AT members agree with that... The arrow flew terribly every time and was all over the place in the air, when it hit the target it would be like one of the door stops on a trim piece behind the doors that springs and then vibrates forever... Could it be the arrow? I cut the fetching a off an arrow and wire brushed tit to get it smooth but it isn't perfect
Why would you wire brush your arrows?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the present Time I just have 1 bare shaft but will buy some and practice that, thanks for the help folks! I guess it could be my grip? I just switched to a focus grip and gotta say I am not impressed with it...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you wire brush your arrows?
I was getting the excess fetching and glue off that a razor could not... It was a fine brush, one used for taxidermy fleshing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bare shafts can group in a different location from the fletched shafts and that would indicate a tuning issue but if your bare shafts aren't grouping together at all, it's going to be the archer.

Sounds like you need to work on from. With every 3-5 shot group of fletched shafts, fire 2 more bare shafts....keep doing this until bare shafts are slapping each other at 20 yards. Once you're consistently grouping bare shafts, then start looking at moving them to your fletched shafts
This makes sense, I guess I was just curious because the arrow will sometimes stick in the target at a 45* angle

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
At the present Time I just have 1 bare shaft but will buy some and practice that, thanks for the help folks! I guess it could be my grip? I just switched to a focus grip and gotta say I am not impressed with it...
I'm surprised to hear you're not impressed with the focus grip.
A buddy of mine put it on his bow and it made a great difference with his scores.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just switch back to the wood grip and at 5,10,15 yards I was stacking fletched arrows and the bare shaft was always touching... It has to be my for because beyond that I was not able to keep it together! I think I just don't want to hear it is my form because I am sick of working on it lol I will buy some bare shafts and take nuts and bolts advice!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm surprised to hear you're not impressed with the focus grip.
A buddy of mine put it on his bow and it made a great difference with his scores.
I don't don't necessarily find it bad, I just find the wood grip more comfortable, maybe it takes getting used to but I shot with it for a week

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I'll be darned! It's all about my form, I stripped more arrows and am trying to shoot bare shafts perfect before moving to fletched arrows... I found that if I wasn't focusing very intently I would be within a few inches of each other but once I really concentrated on my form and repeating the same form each time I was able to pretty much stack arrows on top of each other and in the same spot as where my fletched arrows were hitting. Now to just be able to do that everytime And out to 30 yards is my real challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts