Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am 5'6'' and I draw between 25.5 and 26 inches at 60 pounds. I bought a Browning Rage about 5 years ago because that's what Cabela's talked me into. I have been wanting a new bow and will be looking toward the end of this season. I like the Equalizer however Hoyt has the Kobalt for short draw archers as well. My question is; is it better to buy a bow made for short draws that is pretty much maxed out for me and would shoot the speeds advertised, or should I just pick out a normal length bow. IE Kobalt at 290fps at my draw or, say the Hoyt Alphamax which shoots 321fps, and it might still shoot say 290 with my setup. I know this is confusing but any help would be appreciated. This will be a hunting bow only. Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
My son had a Kobalt when he was like 12 and it was a really nice bow. Shot great, was smooth & quiet. But it really has a super short axle-to-axle at like 28". The string angle was pretty severe even at the shorter draw lengths. I know this doesn't matter to some people but I like a slightly longer A2A for this reason only. You won't go wrong with an Equalizer or an AM32. He's had both and is currently shooting the AM32. I know the Kobalt isn't marketed as a youth bow but that's how I looked at it just due to the A2A. I know some grown ups that shoot them and love them though so each to his own. 32" A2A is still nice & compact for hunting. Good luck.

Dawg

·
Registered
51,117 Posts
Bottom line shoot what ever your very comfortable with. Short A to A or longer your choice. One gain over the other in todays bows-------only in your mind. There are many choices out there get what "YOU" and only you are pleased with. The only thing you need to be real concerned with is if it goes down far enough for your draw length.:)

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
I have the same draw length. Without a doubt there are bows that do NOT shoot well at our draw lengths though they are advertised as 26 inch draw bows. But I think you can get more "oomph" than what the Kobalt offers. IF you feel you want a Hoyt I'd go for a Katera. It should give you more "oomph" at 26 inches than either the Kobalt or the Alpha 32. The only way I'd consider the Kobalt is if I really needed a bow that is lighter in the hand.

I'd love to give the Martin FireHawk a run. It could be a real nice short draw bow. It doesn't cost nearly as much as some other bows.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'm not bashing but I dont recommend the Kobalt, my wife had one and she upgraded to the Bowtech Equalizer and wouldn'y look back. The Equalizer is awsome!! I know the Equalizer was not made for women. It was made for short draw shooters and it is unreal fast and unreal accurate and quiet! It is a awsome bow!! If you can find one my advice to you would be BUY IT! before someeone else does!!!! You wont regret it!!!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'm not bashing but I dont recommend the Kobalt, my wife had one and she upgraded to the Bowtech Equalizer and wouldn'y look back. The Equalizer is awsome!! I know the Equalizer was not made for women. It was made for short draw shooters and it is unreal fast and unreal accurate and quiet! It is a awsome bow!! If you can find one my advice to you would be BUY IT! before someeone else does!!!! You wont regret it!!!
Agreed. The kobalt to me seems more like a youth bow than simply a short draw bow. The equalizer is very easy to shoot well and is just about the fastest you can shoot at the shorter draw lengths.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
my wife shoots 26" and is shooting the PSE Bowmadness at 45# and is getting 260 with her 3d arrows and haven't checked hunting yet, i imagine should be 250....there are a lot of nice bows out there that will go down to 25-26"...all the Bowmadness series, xforce SD just to name a few that are available 60+ pounds

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok, I am 5'6'' and I draw between 25.5 and 26 inches at 60 pounds. I bought a Browning Rage about 5 years ago because that's what Cabela's talked me into. I have been wanting a new bow and will be looking toward the end of this season. I like the Equalizer however Hoyt has the Kobalt for short draw archers as well. My question is; is it better to buy a bow made for short draws that is pretty much maxed out for me and would shoot the speeds advertised, or should I just pick out a normal length bow. IE Kobalt at 290fps at my draw or, say the Hoyt Alphamax which shoots 321fps, and it might still shoot say 290 with my setup. I know this is confusing but any help would be appreciated. This will be a hunting bow only. Thanks, Chris.
Well with the Alphamax you would have to take 40 fps off at a 26 inch draw and a little for you draw weight, just from a speed stand point you would be better getting a short draw bow.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Well with the Alphamax you would have to take 40 fps off at a 26 inch draw and a little for you draw weight, just from a speed stand point you would be better getting a short draw bow.
The alphamax does use different cams for the shorter draw range, I think it's right around 27.5 is the cutoff. So it's not as bad as a regular bow with a full 26-30 range. The AM appears to get pretty good speeds for short draw shooters, of course you can get a nice used equalizer for half the price and not have to worry about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've been talked out of the Kobalt for sure. I may eventually look at getting an Equalizer if there are still any after the season. It also sounds like if I don't go with a shorter draw, at least look for one that has different cams which max out close to my draw.

·
In Urban We Trust
2,438 Posts
I shoot a 26.5 dl and have a Equalizer and an Alley. The Alley is the smoothest drawing bow I have ever owned and shoots great but the Equalizer is faster, and quieter. Both are extremely accurate. If you are looking at an Equalizer I would highly recommend it. Great bow.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Same hieght and draw as you and I love my Elites, I can shoot 1 pin to thirty yards with both of them, fast ,accurate, solid wall and pretty quiet, can't beat thier new warranty either.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
i got a short draw also but i do not like small bows. you need to get a bow that has a high IBO rating to get faster speeds with your smaller draw length. you will not be shooting with the IBO speeds are. that is a standard they use to give off how speed of the bow. you will be signifigantly slower than these speeds. example, my bow IBO @ 308 but i only shoot it 270 fps with a 350 grain arrow. granite i am only pulling 67# rather than the 70# IBO standard. i think that is what you were asking in your question and not sure if anyone really answered it that way. hope this helps. shoot me a pm if you have any more questions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts