Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can SIMS LENS "SHOCK COLLAR" that is located "in" the scope be removed easily?
Also, I found 2 different pics that display size of the level/bubble, this:

and this:

It seems there are 2 bubble sizes available, yet no one that stocks these scopes says anything about the sizes...?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Erm strike that - I just found out that the bottom pic is the new 35mm scope.
Anyhow - 1 more question - is the 29mm the outer on inner diameter of this scope?

·
Registered
295 Posts
29 mm is the inner diameter.

And yes, the shock collar can easily be removed. Its like a wide rubber band that sits around the edge of the lens.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
29 mm is the inner diameter.

And yes, the shock collar can easily be removed. Its like a wide rubber band that sits around the edge of the lens.
Ok - Lemme get this straight, the lens (their swarovski lens comes as a unit together with retainer ring) when screwed in eventually rests on the shock collar, as this "collar" acts as some kind of soft padding for the back side of the lens that goes inside the scope body?

If that is the case - imagine you took out the collar ring and put inside another lens (just a bare lens)- I suppose there would still be enough thread to allow retainer ring (and the scope in it) to safely secure lenses to stack at each other?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt again come on black eagle shooters

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
A friend of mine has one of these and the collar is not an O ring or gasket or shim or spacer. It is a synthetic band that is molded around the edge of the lens. With that I may be completely wrong but that is what I thought I saw when he had it apart.

See that little black ring on the bottom?? That is it basically a gasket to keep the glass from touching metal. My CR has O rings.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
As I se it on my scope. The shock collar is no more than an "O" ring. After shooting for some time the ring will mash down and can be a little difficult to remove. Maybe put a very, very thin coat of some high grade lube to keep moist may help this problem. When first put together, there is only 1 or 2 threads making contact. On tighten down, you may get 3 full turns.
Frank

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A friend of mine has one of these and the collar is not an O ring or gasket or shim or spacer. It is a synthetic band that is molded around the edge of the lens. With that I may be completely wrong but that is what I thought I saw when he had it apart.

See that little black ring on the bottom?? That is it basically a gasket to keep the glass from touching metal. My CR has O rings.

Ah ok, I've seen CR apex's rubber o-rings. They don't take up much space, but still there might be enough for two lenses when I take that ring out.
I need someone who actually owns a black eagle to take this ring out and measure how much space is there in it when this ring is removed. - Anyone?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW - Don't be concerned with Sure-Loc's retainer ring, I'm ordering a custom retainer ring that doesn't contain a lense, so I only need enough for two lenses stacked together plus enough thread to screw the retainer ring in enough.

·
Registered
837 Posts
13/64"

just measured. without rubber gasket.

small area where gasket fits is unthreaded

(42mm scope... i assume the 29 is the same?)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Just to be sure, the lens is contained in a removable threaded ring that then screws into the housing. The lens is not first placed into the housing and then the threaded metal retaining ring is installed. The lens is retained in the threaded metal ring and then installed into the housing.

I've always wondered if I could remove the lens from the threaded ring and install a different magnification of lens.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just to be sure, the lens is contained in a removable threaded ring that then screws into the housing. The lens is not first placed into the housing and then the threaded metal retaining ring is installed. The lens is retained in the threaded metal ring and then installed into the housing.

I've always wondered if I could remove the lens from the threaded ring and install a different magnification of lens.

Curious about that as well, you can see what looks like a nylon coated set screw holding against the lens inside the 'lense assembly'

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Curious about that as well, you can see what looks like a nylon coated set screw holding against the lens inside the 'lense assembly'
Trying to remove a $200+ lens scares the bejeebers out of me.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Kcarcherguy;
You are right. The lens collar holds two lens and locks them down to the scope body. But why would you want to remove swarvoski lens and put something else in its place? Swarvorski is the finest glass made.
Frank

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Kcarcherguy;
You are right. The lens collar holds two lens and locks them down to the scope body. But why would you want to remove swarvoski lens and put something else in its place? Swarvorski is the finest glass made.
Frank
Higher magnification Frank. It is great glass, but I can't afford another one. Thought about doing like Dado's talking about and getting a feather vision or tru-spot lens.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Working on a picture right now, so you can see exactly what the lense retention area looks like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts