Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
debating on if I go with an Invasion for my next bow going with the 80lb limbs. I don't have a lot of experience with the physics of bows as I've only been bow hunting a couple years so my question is what can I gain by going with the 80. I'm thinking having to jump 50 grains in arrow weight will basically wash out any FPS gains but I'm not sure and the only thing I would technically gain would be Kinetic Energy. Is that a correct assumption????? Also would love to here numbers from anyone with an 80lb Invasion

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whitetail, hogs, and planning an elk trip next year hopefully. I know I don't need that much KE to kill things as I've blown through both deer I've shot with my Diamond Iceman that only shoots a 360 grain arrow at 270 fps, but it would be nice to have more for longer shots on elk, hogs, etc.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The bad news is you will be disapointed with the fps. you will gain but the good news is...........They have came along way with rotator cuff surgery in the last few years. Or you could just by a faster bow.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
X force or destroyer 350 would probably be my choice if I wanted speed. A mere fraction of the cost of rotator cuff sugery...........

·
Registered
913 Posts
No need for an 80lb anything really. Unless your hunting elephants, rhinos, water buffalo, basically huge African critters. Anything like an Invasion in a 70lb bow can do the job, all you have to do is fuss with the arrow set up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 80lb Invasion wouldn't trade it for anything. the draw feels like 70lb and buddy does them arrows hit hard

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On a serious note! Broadhead selection had more impact on penatration through plywood than speed or lbs in a test done by some friends of mine. I dont know how acurate the test was because it was plywood not live critters.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you were able to shoot a 400 grain completed arrow at 320 fps your lbs of KE would be around 90.9. I believe I read somewhere years ago 45-50lbs of KE was more than adequate for whitetails.
Finding an arrow spined correctly for a completed arrow weight of 400 will be a chore. Getting the Invasion to shoot 320 fps should be able to be done. Pulling and holding the bow in the fall and winter months might be another thing to conquer as well. 80lb bow weight is not for everybody. Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
80lb would be great for the hogs and elk, personally i like the heavier weight bows too(just in case a small tree gets in the way) i also need the heavier bows for the heavier arrows(catch 22). if you like the 80lber then do it. do not let someone else tell you that you dont need it. if they hunt with a rifle ask them what they use. if is is over a .223 caliber then its over kill,(logic .223 can kill a deer easily so can a 45lb bow) the choice is yours, happy hunting :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the input so far. It's not a question of do I need it, because I know I don't. I have killed animals with my slow low KE bow that I'm shooting right now just fine. It's a case of wanting it. Kinda like some people want a fast car. I have a great shooting hunting bow in what I have but would love to play with the speed high KE side of things. Pulling my Iceman at 72 is like pulling a kid's bow so I don't think 80 would be all that harsh and if it is I can turn it down to 75 and be happy. I'm just curious about the physics of things. Like how much draw weight and arrow weight effect speed and KE. I may go with a 70 lber, but would love to here input from some of the 80 lb guys on what they are getting out of their bows.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
80 pounds isn't a big deal but you will feel it the first few weeks of shooting it, but I ended up selling my Invasion at 80 pounds because I wanted more speed (I'm nuts) So I bought an omen pro and its a lot faster at 70 pounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to shoot 80 lbs in my older hunting bows. Bought an Invasion this year that is 70# (actually shooting 72#) and it shoots 450 gr. FMJ 340s with a 29" draw @ 295fps and KE= 87. This beats the numbers I was getting out of my older 80# set up, so I'm quite happy with the 70 vs. 80 and would have no concerns hunting anything that walks with it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Deadeye1205, if you don't mind what kind of numbers were you getting out of the 80lb Invasion? Thanks.
I was getting 332 FPS out of a 407 grain arrow at 29"/82 pounds. It was screaming fast and very quiet. Just not for me. I would buy a 70 pounder if I had the funds though.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I had an 80# bow once. It didn't hurt my shoulder or tire my arms, and I would shoot 60 arrows at a time in my club's target comps. I got rid of it because there was really not benifit. I shoot around 6 gpp and can acheive simular speeds with a 60#, 70# or 80# bow. All have more than enough KE for whitetail. If you go for elk you can just use a heavier arrow to get reccomended KE. Never shot at an Elk, but from watching it on TV speed dont apprear to be an issue. It don't look like they can jump an arrow like deer can. I have a 70# Invasion and have a hard time setting up an arrow. OT2 reccomends a .300 spine arrow. Shoot what you want and don't let anyone tell you that you don't need anything. But in my opinion I would go with a 70#, just cause it is easier to find arrows for it, and you're not really gaining anything with an 80#. If you ever go to sell it, you are reaching out to a really small market.

·
Registered
664 Posts
No 80#ers but I do shoot 90 and 100#'s. The key is to make sure you actually can because sometimes ten pounds difference can feel like a ton if your not conditioned for it. The advantages for a heavier bow for me are that I can shoot a 600 gr arrow at around 300 fps or my 752 gr arrows at 266 fps. versus someone telling you all you have to do to get your momentum or kinetic energy up (I'm not o fan of KE) is to shoot a heavier arrow which is true but I can shoot a 600 gr arrow at 300 fps verses a 70# bow shooting it at let's say 250 for arguments sake, so I now have more momentum and a flatter shooting arrow then your 70#er. Is the heavy draw weights needed? No not always but if you can comfortably and accurately shoot it as well on your first shot as you do your last shot then why not, I always try and make the cleanest shot I possibly can and I practice everyday to do so but if something happens where I hit a shoulder I'm not going to panic because I didn't have enough momentum to get the job done.
I would advise lowering the poundage on the 80# limbs and slowly work your way up to the max weight as I've seen people think they can draw my bow and actually hurt themselves trying.
Some will tell you that you are going to need shoulder surgery if you shoot heavy bows and for me I have not found that to be true. I have had shoulder surgery on my drawing arm because of a motorcycle accident so I would think it would already be a weak spot but "I" have had no I'll effects.

These are just my thoughts and opinions so take them for what they are worth.

OBH

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I use to shoot even heavier pounds. It's a personal choice, but no huge advantage. A properly tuned bow @ 70 lbs with good heads and a good shot will blow through ANY game animal on this side of the pond! But if you can easily draw on game in cold weather (if you hunt in it) go for it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i shoot a invasion set at 82.5 pounds 30" draw 407grain gold tip at 341fps it makes about 105KE it shoots great and i have no problems with the extra few pounds of draw weight. if you can draw the weight with no problems and are comfortable with it then go for it! no you probably don't need it for anything but its better to have to much than not enough when it comes to killing something

1 - 20 of 30 Posts