Archery Talk Forum banner

Question for Bowfinger scope shooters

1330 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Smoothy750
Hey all, just setting up my new Xpedite NXT 3D bow for nxt year, and Im running a Bowfinger 40mm 20/20 kit, along with a Zbros Evo Plus light,also got a cross drilled lens from Optix300. (excellent quality as always from Tan) So I put a 1" chunk of clear fibre that I had in my Ultraview envelope (it's bright as hell with the UV light btw) in the lens, fired up the light and got it to the blue color, and at full brightness the pin was barely lit up and low visibility even in the dark.

Does UV's fibre work better under ultraviolet which the UV2 light is, or the Zbros just not like that particular fibre? Side note I did make an order last week at Nanoptics.com for the 5 12" pieces of clear fibre, also ordered a pin for the scope and fibre adapter just incase the Bowfinger just doesn' suit a cross drilled lens?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,067 Posts
This has absolutely nothing to do with your bowfinger scope. Sounds like it's either the fiber or light.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has absolutely nothing to do with your bowfinger scope. Sounds like it's either the fiber or light.
I'm seriously thinking it's the Ultraview fiber, specifically the clear, the colours are really bright with the zbros, but not the clear, maybe it just reacts better and brighter with ultraviolet light on it

Reactions: BuLzEyE

· Registered
2,067 Posts
I'm seriously thinking it's the Ultraview fiber, specifically the clear, the colours are really bright with the zbros, but not the clear, maybe it just reacts better and brighter with ultraviolet light on it
Its most likely actually a blue fiber and not clear. If I'm not mistaken blue and white light will wash out a blue fiber

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its most likely actually a blue fiber and not clear. If I'm not mistaken blue and white light will wash out a blue fiber
I dunno, it doesn't have any perceptible blue tint to it as far as my eyes can see. Regardless, I ordered the Bowfinger pin and fibre tube adapter a couple days ago,and the nanoptics fibre, pin will get here first so that'll help me sight the bow in, then when the fibre gets here I'll switch it out to the cross drilled again

· Registered
221 Posts
How did the Nanoptics fiber work out for you and did you end up using the center-drilled or the pin? I'm getting a Bowfinger scope and debating between a pin or center-drilled.

Thanks!

I dunno, it doesn't have any perceptible blue tint to it as far as my eyes can see. Regardless, I ordered the Bowfinger pin and fibre tube adapter a couple days ago,and the nanoptics fibre, pin will get here first so that'll help me sight the bow in, then when the fibre gets here I'll switch it out to the cross drilled again

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did the Nanoptics fiber work out for you and did you end up using the center-drilled or the pin? I'm getting a Bowfinger scope and debating between a pin or center-drilled.

Thanks!
Center drilled lens doesn't work well with this scope, I don't have a clue why but it just doesn't light up bright at all. Didn't for me at least, and that was using a 1" piece of fiber. I ended up buying and using the up pin ad wrapping it outside the scope. Zbros works well with the nanoptics fiber

· Registered
2,067 Posts
Center drilled lens doesn't work well with this scope, I don't have a clue why but it just doesn't light up bright at all. Didn't for me at least, and that was using a 1" piece of fiber. I ended up buying and using the up pin ad wrapping it outside the scope. Zbros works well with the nanoptics fiber
I have been running a center drilled lens on my bowfinger all season as are many others. If you want to run a blue fiber though the best way is with the pin and putting the end of the fiber directly on the end of the LED. That isn't a scope issue though

· Registered
221 Posts
What is the benefit of using a drilled lens with a pin? I thought the point of a drilled lens was to eliminate the pin from your sight picture. Sorry if this is a dumb question - this will be my first time using any kind of fiber optics with a scope.

I have been running a center drilled lens on my bowfinger all season as are many others. If you want to run a blue fiber though the best way is with the pin and putting the end of the fiber directly on the end of the LED. That isn't a scope issue though

· Registered
2,067 Posts
What is the benefit of using a drilled lens with a pin? I thought the point of a drilled lens was to eliminate the pin from your sight picture. Sorry if this is a dumb question - this will be my first time using any kind of fiber optics with a scope.
i'm just saying blue fiber is the hardest to light up so if i'm going to run blue I would rather use a pin and a standard lens over a drilled lens with fiber inserted

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I did, the outside end of the fibre runs directly into the led of the zbros

· Registered
221 Posts
That's probably what I will do too. But I'm wondering if I could use the Shrewd integrated pin with the Bowfinger scope? I like the minimal profile of the Shrewd pin. Both are 8-32, but I guess the pin probably wouldn't be centered since the housings are probably not the exact same dimensions.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
In my opinion, and with a friend's advice, who I do value his advice as he is a good shooter, the up pin is better for 3d as you can get your vertical situated faster with the pin being a straight up and down reference against trees etc, whereas the crossdrilled lens is better for indoor or outdoor flat field target shooting as it opens up your sight picture.

Reactions: Room101
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.