Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a 2000 Maverick Express with Recurve limbs. Starting last year I started struggling with consistancy so I switched to a back tension release. I felt I was shooting it properly and shot better, but not as well as I used to shoot. I paper tuned the bow and tuned it to shoot bullet holes. Still having consistancy problems. I noticed the tuning mark on the control wheel was right in the grooves, but the cable was well out of the tuning marks on the cam. Well, I just got a new string and cables put on the bow and both are within the marks now. I am now shooting the way I know I am capable, as just yesterday, I shot my best 3-D round ever shooting a 356 on a 36 target range with standard 12/10/8/5 scoring. I am so excited I can hardly take it today. I am very pleased. Sorry for the life story, but I was wondering if any of the other Darton shooters have had this type of problem with the CPS system? If not, any other suggestions as to what the problem may have been would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Hey Jeff City dude i live in Lees Summit,mo.....small world!
Im an avid Darton shooter and build my own strings! I normally change strings as soon as i get a new bow because most of them dont pre stretch them.. I have a Rampage that ive change the string and going to change the cables out because they are the wrong size! Its difficult unless you have a bow press to control string stretch. They can be twisted back to there normal positioning. Get yourself a bow press and you can do many things yourself!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey DMaverick,

Two to three years use out of a factory set of strings and cables is nothing to sneeze at, considering how much it sounds like you shoot during any given year.

Nothing wrong with the C/P/S cam system, except that it stores a tremendous amount of energy and shoots w/ very good performance. If it happens again, switch to custom pre-stretched strings and cables like from Winners Choice.
That should cure it for even longer.

DARTON BOWS= GOOD BOWS ...designs are solid, tried, and true.
They've been around long enough to know what will work and what will work less well.

bowtinkerer :cool:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been shooting the CPS system since it first came out. The bow shoots phenomenal when the BOTH strings are withing the "tuning" marks. When one or both start to move out, there is some leeway, but once you reach a certain point, good arrow flight and grouping is out of the question.

Once you get the bow "back in the marks" you are in business. Typically, I would have to re-time the bow two or three times per year.

Don't worry about pre-stretched strings. It is a waste of time. The only way to mimic the dynamic loadings that a bow puts them through is to shoot them. Regardless of whether the strings are pre-stretched or not, it is likely that you will have to re-time the bow. After the initial stretching period, you will be timing the bow once per month, maybe once per two months. When the strings are worn out, you will be coming out of the marks every few days.

Keep in mind that I am talking about very heavy usage and very high standards for tuning (2"-3" groups at 40-50 yds) for these scenarios. Probably about 200-300 shots per week at about 70 lbs. Less poundage and fewer shots will result in a much more infrequent tuning schedule. As compared to tuning a two cam bow, i was making minor adjustments to the timing weekly under the same shooting conditions.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thats why i stated that a good bow press can let you put a couple of twists in the cables or the string itself bringing your tuning marks back where they need to be....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just remember that the marks should be checked in a certain module positon.It is listed on a tuning chart on their website.The module position will affect the tuning marks.

CB

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gang

I do appreciate all the input. I will definitely keep a closer eye on the tuning marks fomr now on! She is shooting like a dream and has reminded me why I fell in love with this system to begin with!

·
Registered
109 Posts
THE DARTON MAVERICK IS THE BEST & MOST FORGIVING HUNTING BOW I EVER SHOT. IT IS A SHAME MORE PEOPLE WON'T GIVE IT A TRY. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH BOTH MY CABLES ARE OUT OF THE SO CALLED "TUNING MARKS" AND I STILL SHOOT 3 INCH GROUPS WITH BROADHEADS AT 60 YARDS(NOT EXPANDABLES). I SAW THE NEW MAVERICK AT A SHOW THIS WEEKEND. IT'S AWESOME!! MINE WILL BE IN IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.

JB

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JB I have heard the new Maverick has the Extreme cam on it. Is there that much of a difference between the Express and Extreme cam?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts