Archery Talk Forum banner

Question for Hoyt guys....

1319 Views 28 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Reverend
Hey I have a Katera XL I traded for, when adjusting the poundage the limb bolts are VERY stiff, is this normal?? Most bows are tough to break loose then not too bad but this one is really stiff the whole way...and yes, I did have the bolts on the side loosened up!!:teeth: Just curious just want to make sure its not cross threaded or something...'94
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· 300 or bust
13,148 Posts
Big E,

same way on my hoyt VX7, really stiff to turn (i also had the side bolts loose as well)

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Clean limb bolts and add anti seize is an option. on tough to turn limb bolts I normally just use a socket ratchet wrench with a socket allen attachment. Makes even tough limb bolts turn rather easy.

· Registered
359 Posts
Same here with my Katera. I prefer them being slightly stiff. Make sure to check the lock down bolts on the limbs after about 75-100 shots after adjustment. Just a safety measure ive gotten used to doing

· Registered
5,223 Posts
Take bow apart...clean threaded holes in riser with alcohol, or a smal squirt of brake or carb cleaner...Clean both limb adj. bolts with carb cleaner/brake cleaner, and a paper towel...put some white lithium grease on the first 10 to 12 threads of the bolts, and put the bow back together...it should be very easy, and smooth to change draw weight...Harperman

· Registered
2,592 Posts
Every Hoyt I've ever had has been that way.
Yep every Hoyt I have ever owned was stiff until I got my AM32, and I could turn it with ease. I thought something was broken LOL :teeth:

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Cleaning and lubing the limb bolts is an option, but like I suggested get a nice socket wrench with allen socket head and you will have all the leverage you need to break them loose. Save the hassle from breaking the bow down! They will turn very easy and there is no chance of damaging the limb bolt threads with a nice socket allen head. Any hardware store, or auto store will have them. I purchased the standard 3/8" limb bolt size, and the larger size for the Mathews bow as well:thumbs_up Also works very well on the bows with long limb bolts like the center pivots. You can back them out or tighten them down quick!

· Registered
2,910 Posts
Mine was also.

I have a brand new Vantage pro.When I adjusted the poundage it was extremly hard.When I ran into bows like this in the pro shop the first thing I did was press the bow take off the wheels.Back out the bolts and put a little lithium grease on them.Made them smooth as a babys you know what.With the bolt holders in the side you dont have to worry about them backing off.

· Registered
6,815 Posts
break the bow down...i like to use a marine product called super lube grease(with teflon)...then i put it on the threads, the under side of the limb bolt head that is beveled and i put a tad on both sides of the plastic washer that lies between the limb pocket and limb bolt washer, sometimes it not just the threads so i lube the whole limb bolt assembly only takes a very small amount, reassemble bow.. wipe away any excess that may have come out then you are good to go and they turn as easy as slicing butter with a hot knife!....:thumbs_up

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
Side bolts ??? :eek: Same on all 3 of my Hoyts. Quit being a "NANCY". Send it here and i'll turn them out for you. How much lower than 40 lbs you wanna go ??? (just hackin' on ya)

· Premium Member
8,881 Posts
Same thing on my 737. One bolt was smooth and one creaked and took all kinds of torque to turn. Broke the bow down on a press an put a little string wax on the threads. Problem solved.:thumbs_up
Yep,

The bolts on my Katera XL were easily the stiffest I have ever had short of a set frozen in place with corrosion.

I also put a dab of silicone grease on the bolt heads.

I wonder if it's just limb preload on the XT 500's?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.