Archery Talk Forum banner

Question for Hoyt Katera shooters

971 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Mallards Only
So far this year my Katera has shot like a dream! Love everything about it. However, over the last week or so I've noticed a definitive increase in noise at the shot. Still shooting dead on, but the sound is too much. I've tried tinkering with it but so far nothing has worked. I'm almost positive its coming from the STS that came on the bow. It is making a slapping sound. Anybody had an experience like this, and if so, what's the best remedy?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
495 Posts
First thing I did was replace the Stealthshot w/ an STS stopper. You can get a Mean V or P.O.S. now for them I believe, though I made my own. Amazing how much the noise level went down.

· Registered
65 Posts
I to mounted a STS and noticed new noise's I just took it off after shooting and started checking all the screws through out the bow tightin every thing down and shoot again no more noise. great product.. Don't know why but it works great now...

· aim small...miss small...
1,303 Posts
I would check if the bow is still to spec and see if you need to twist some cables. I know my factory strings often needs twisting.
+1

i had the same problem with my vectrix getting progressively louder. i put a limbsaver on the stealth shot and it helped a bit, then i noticed that the draw stop timing and specs were off because the stock strings had streched. twisted cables to get it pretty close and it cut down alot on the noise. I will be replacing the fuse strings very soon to eliminate that problem

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
Check your AtoA length and brace height, make sure the rubber bumper on the Stealth Shot isnt ripping off. If the Stealth Shot is still in one piece I'd be willing to bet that it's out of spec and needs some twisting done to it. The stock FUSE strings like to stretch alot, I had to retime my buddies Katera the other day, his top cam had close to a half inch gap between the drop stop & the cable at full draw. I retimed it for him and we shot the other night and his bow is quieter now. First thing I did to my Katera was put a new set of strings on it from " John's Customs", Breathn on here....Mine is rock solid a shooter. I do have SIMS leeches on my string and the factory Stealth Shot and mines pretty quiet, but once the Leeches rip apart I think I'm gonna throw some mini cat whiskers on mine...Nothing is as quiet as cat whiskers.

· Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight so far guys. I'm gonna give these suggestions a try and see what I can come up with. The owner of my local proshop has already been trying to get me to switch to Winners Choice strings. Anybody had any bad experiences with them?

· Registered
5,013 Posts
Thanks for the insight so far guys. I'm gonna give these suggestions a try and see what I can come up with. The owner of my local proshop has already been trying to get me to switch to Winners Choice strings. Anybody had any bad experiences with them?
Absolutely not, but I beleive Vapor Trail is just as good for less money.

An accessory worth mentioning is the Sims Cable Guard dampener... Works wonders on all of my Hoyts.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
Winner's Choice makes a really good string...But, I think they are over priced and I dont like the fact that they mainly use 8125 material in their strings. Yes it's a tad bit faster than 452x but it's not as stable and will stretch. Like I said before, Breathn on here "John's Customs" builds my strings, he uses 452x and Halo end servings and you'll be hard pressed to ever find a better made set of strings and his are about half the price of Winner's Choice.

· Registered
227 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The string that comes stock on the Hoyt is not that great and will stretch a lot. My bow was badly out of tune and had to be readjusted. Take it to your pro shop and have them check it. I'm changing the strings after deer season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.