Archery Talk Forum banner

Question for hunting in Texas

1277 18
I am taking a new job and by the end of the year I will have the option to transfer to a number of different states. I am seriously considering Texas. I have the following cities to choose from in Texas:

1. Dallas
2. Houston
3. San Antonio

I would prefer to stay away from Houston due to the hurricanes.

How would you guys rate the above cities for whitetail hunting? I also would like to do a lot of turkey hunting. As a reference, I will be moving from Pennsylvania where there is a lot of public State gamelands to hunt.

Any help would be appreciated.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
12,878 Posts
I am taking a new job and by the end of the year I will have the option to transfer to a number of different states. I am seriously considering Texas. I have the following cities to choose from in Texas:

1. Dallas
2. Houston
3. San Antonio

I would prefer to stay away from Houston due to the hurricanes.

How would you guys rate the above cities for whitetail hunting? I also would like to do a lot of turkey hunting. As a reference, I will be moving from Pennsylvania where there is a lot of public State gamelands to hunt.

Any help would be appreciated.
you will be hard pressed to find "decent" public land to hunt here in TX, although there will be guys to tell you otherwise...personally, i haven't hunted public land only because i have family with ranches and some really nice friends that let me hunt...

that being said, the cities you listed is a little funny, only because i know a lot of guys from both Dallas and Houston that lease around the San Antonio area, in the hill country and even down south, if you can afford it...

if you want a place to live, SA can't be beat, but if you like HUGE cities, Dallas would get my vote....

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I would say San Antonio would be the best for hunting, I don't think there is much public land around though. Very nice town, great weather, and friendly people. I hate Houston, Dallas is ok, but I prefer San Anton. Fishing is awesome down that way as well. I spent last week in south texas fishing Amistad and Falcon, I don't think their is better bass fishing anywhere. Good luck.

· Registered
1,983 Posts
I work in Texas but live in Missouri. I travel about a week a month and have spent a lot of time in all three. When you factor in the people, traffic, cost of living and of course wildlife you just simply cannot beat San Antonio.

· Registered
37 Posts
All three are great cities in general. Both houston and dallas have decent hunting within a couple hours of them but San Antonio is surrounded with very good hunting land. Yes hunting is EXTREMELY expensive in Texas unless you know the right people. If you have kids the only one of those cities to even consider is Dallas. Dallas's suburbs have some of the best School Districts in the nation and I know this is true because I go to college with kids from all over the state and the most prepared are from the dallas area. But, at the same time Houston has a few school districts which are top notch also. But let me repete this SAN ANTONIO has absolutly terrible schools!! Oh and Austin is also a very nice city too so i'd add it to the list as well.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I live approx. 50 miles south of dallas and hunting is awsome down here. I paid 1200 a year for 2 bow lease in navarro county for a few years and always harvested. Now I own 77 acres in rock springs which is 65 miles north of the mexico border. I hunted it for a while and I personally find bigger body,more mature deer where I am at now. I live and hunt all over hill and bosque counties ,which are near dallas. Lake whitney public land,also richland chambers public land. Check these areas out online. Texas public land is governered by - Corps of Engineers - 30 minutes from my home either ne or due west is over 17000 acres of public land. Oh yeah, we can hunt hog and small game all year long.I don't know much about san antonio or houston , just tellin you what I DO know. Good luck!look me up when you get here

· Registered
262 Posts
I live in a suburb of Dallas. I drive about 3.5 hours southwest to my lease. But if you like hunting among pine trees, you could go east and only drive maybe an hour or two. As far as public land goes, there is Crocket National Forest and Hagerman (not sure if it's National?), to name a couple. But don't let these guys scare you, decent leases can be found for reasonable (not cheap) prices.

· Registered
13,757 Posts
dallas can be hot and cold sometimes gets a bit of snow with great fishing near by likely will have to drive a bit to hunt, best of the three cities to live in or near.lots of things to do and Dalas and Fort worth are pretty easy to get around in we Like to take long weekends there

houston will offer great hog hunting and close to a lot of fishing also gator hunting and close to pretty good deer hunting, terrible place to live congested all the freakng time (lived in Beaumont most of my life and go through there a lot), I have never in 50 years not had to deal with freeway constructon or desruction (take your pick) humidity sucks all the time, its always hotter in town not much winter down this far on the coast.. Hurricanes are real big and dont sneek up on you... but you might have to leave town for a month with a direct hit.... I just delt with Rita, Gustav and Ike... everybody shoud experiance one... two just aint necissary... kinda like a face full of pepper spray... you wont ever forget it!!

San Antonio can be dang hot but has low humidity, beautiful country ample things to see and do and surronded by good hunting... although the deer arn't as big body wise as their northern cousins.. it is fairly close to good fishing... but drought and falling water tables can be a long term issue... wind almost always blows it would be benificial to learn spanish

· Registered
1,584 Posts
I have seen some big ones come out of Crockett. Good post Nate331!

· Registered
849 Posts
My vote would be San Antonio. For less expensive leases I would look at some of the smaller ranches northwest of you in the Mason county area. For large deer with a more expensive lease fee look to the south and southwest of San Antonio. Also, world class saltwater fishing not too far either.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, thanks for the help those far. This really helps when I go to rank the cities where I want to move. What would you say I would pay for a lease (average price) for bowhunting?

Also, my other top city choices at this time are as follows:
-Phoenix
-Las Vegas
-Salt Lake City
-Albuquerque
-Minneapolis

I was considering the following but the whole tornado alley scares me:
-Omaha
-Kanas City
-Oklahoma City
-Little Rock

I would love to do some Mule Deer hunting, not too sure what areas are prime for Mule Deer hunting.

Thanks

· Registered
91 Posts
In order, I'd pick:
1. San Antonio
2. Dallas
3. Houston

If you go with Dallas, you should consider living in Fort Worth, just about 25 miles west. It's a smaller city, so less crowded, and there's some good opportunities both south and west of town.

I'm thinking of moving back to Texas one of these days myself...

· Registered
123 Posts
San Antonio is where I live. The hill country is a short trip out IH10w that has great hunting, but smaller animals. Following Hwy 90 towards Del Rio has a lot of opportunities, with some larger animals and trophies, followed by going south for some real monsters.

There are quite a few hunting publications printed regionally that have a lot of lease and lease partnership opportunities. There are a lot of "day hunting" places that offer good opportunities for reasonable rates.

Did I mention the awesome weather? LOL

Next would be Dallas area, then Houston. My work takes me to all these markets, but SA is where I have chosen to hang my hat. (and the schools here are really not as bad as has been stated. My son is an AB honor roll 14 year old spazoid, and we like the schools just fine)

· Registered
2,667 Posts
I live near San Antonio, and my son lives in Houston. I have visited DFW more than once, and IMO SA is the only choice. Too many folks in either of the other two places.

I was on a South Tx lease for 6 years-not a big place (620 ac) and there were either 3 or 4 of us. It was not a typical situation, as we controlled all the hunting access rights-deer, dove, quail, and feral hogs. We day-leased the place for quail and dove, and I ran a few semi-guided hog hunts to recoup some of my lease costs. That lease was $10k/yr and I recovered 50-75% of my share through the hog hunts.

After I got off that lease, I leased a small place (160ac) 20 min from home with river frontage and a large pecan bottom full of wild turkeys--there were two of us on it, but I was the only bow hunter. Since I'm retired and the other guy worked 6 days/wk, it was virtually mine alone. It was $800--so that gives you some idea of what things might cost.

I presently have free access to an 80-ac place 10 min from the house and also hunt with a friend near Wimberley, about 50 minutes away. So--those are the extremes from my experience.

Good luck--

· Registered
579 Posts
I'd recommend the west side of San Antonio. You're close to the Hill Country there - lots of deer, hogs, and exotics, and rivers.

· Registered
1,624 Posts
Dallas is closer to the public land but the average buck in the San Antonio area will be much bigger than in the Dallas area. If you're looking for a lease, they will be cheaper closer to Dallas but higher quality closer to San Antonio. Dallas or Houston is the place to go if you want public land.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.