Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most of us have had arrows not completely pass through animals, and some will even argue an arrow stuck in the animal does more damage. However, my question is, how well will a mechanical cut inside the animal. We all know fixed broadheads do tremendous damage, but what about your average mechanical head. Do you think the blades will stay open? Does anyone here have any experience with mechanicals not completely passing through? Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have no objective evidence to fall back on, but I'm going to say that a mechanical will likely not stay open when inside an animal. I think it is more likely that it will "flop around" from closed to open while the animal is running away. I'm also quite confident that the damage will be done at that point and it won't matter. I wouldn't worry about it.

Leg Man

·
Registered
265 Posts
expandable blades

I have shot around ten deer with the Rocket 57 grain expandable heads. They have almost all had complete passthroughs. I shoot around 285 fps. and really like the way they shoot, just like a target tip. Some like large broadheads and I am sure they work just as well. I think ANY broadhead will work. The placement of the shot is the number one thing to worry about. I would imagine that a target tip would bring down a lot of deer if it were put in the right spot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Shot placement is number one. I shoot the 90gr Rocket slammerhead with 13/4inch cut all have been pass troughs and the average size entry hole is 2 to 3 inchs and the exit hole is 3 to 6 inchs ,no lie. Its amazing the damage this head does. The deer do not go far all with in eye sight. And there is blood everywhere. They fly just like field point. I used to shoot muzzys but will not go back.They were good but the rockets are better.JMO

·
Registered
852 Posts
While no expert on the subject, I have taken 18 deer with Steehead 100's, and am willing to share what I've experienced thus far... 1st off, other than spine shots, and 1 quartering away shot that struck the far shoulder(on purpose, BTW), all were pass-throughs... Off shoulder pass-throughs have been easily obtained with these broadheads for me, with the arrow typically going 8 to 10 inches into the ground after going through the deer.... Spine shots have dropped every deer in their tracks when hit that way, for me - but keep in mind that is a MUCH smaller target than going after both lungs - I shoot ALOT of arrows(300 to 400 per week), and my confidence/accuracy is VERY good, and those shots were all inside of 15 yards( a couple were inside of 10 yards)... The quartering away shot that didn't pass through literally knocked the deer off it's feet(140lb doe), and exploded the far front shoulder from the inside - the deer crawled about 5 feet, and died within 1 minute... I purposely aimed at the far front shoulder on that quartering away shot, thinking about what they taught me in the bowhunter class mandated by my state - and it DID produce an effective kill(arrow got broken, though)... I've since reconsidered my quartering away aiming spot, and now aim so that the arrow exits JUST behind the front leg on the far side - that works EXTREMELY well!!! I've never seen a deer bleed out so fast as when hit in this manner... I carry between 65 to 70ft/lbs of KE, so getting consistant pass-throughs may come a little easier for me than for you - I really don't know anything about your set-up... Now, on to the "meat" of you question...

I don't know for sure, but I would say that based on what I've seen so far, that while still in the body of an animal(non pass-through), that mechanicals would most likely open and close - depending on how the broadhead was in the body, and body movement while it was inside - and most likely, eventually come to the closed position, IMO.. In this respect, I'd say that fixed blades have an advantage, because we KNOW they're still cutting while in the body, while we don't know for sure what's going on with mechanicals during those same circumstances...

I have seen this: while shooting mech heads at foam targets, blades were obviously all open while passing through the target(you could clearly see all 3 blade marks in the target at the point of impact), but when removed from the ground, a couple of blades were no longer open... I saw this while testing out Steelheads - I took 3 of those square foam targets(4 to 6" thick?), taped them together, and thought THAT would stop a broadhead tipped arrow - YEAH, RIGHT!!!! Shot at 30 yards, my arrow blew through those like they were NOTHING, and landed ATLEAST 30 yards past the target - it did, however, strike EXACTLY where I was aiming(as did the next 3 shots at other spots), and the blades DEFINETLY all opened as the broadhead struck the target - THAT was the end of that type of "testing", BTW - 4 hunting arrows that needed to be re-bladed, and re-fletched(but all 4 DID strike a 1 inch circle, EXACTLY where I was aiming!!!).... The next "testing" was on a whitetail - I'm happy to report that Steelheads are 18 for 18 on deer for me, and are what I'll be using again this fall... Hope this helps...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
852 Posts
BTW, I disagree with the notion that an arrow remaining inside a deer is preferrable to a pass-through - I'll take an entrance and exit wound EVERY TIME, thank you - JMHO...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i have shot steelheads for several years and the most damage i got when i didn't have a pass through was a devistating woound on the outside and the blades which had hit the other side shoulder and shattered it the blade i believe don't really close like you would think. they do undulate and i hope i am close enough for you to understand what i am saying as they move around in the cavity of the hogs i have shot. i have had just a couple of arrows not make it thru but saw that the movement did cause some severe damage wheninside the pigs. one of the best i saw on a pig aroudn 225 lbs and shot him broadside with slightly quartering away and when i shot him thru just behind where the shield was and when it exited it was just in front of the shoulder and the entrace was over 2 inches and the exit was right at 6 inches from the way the broadhead went thru. pigs are hard to get to stop and moving around as they do sometimes the hit will look funny but the end results are serious ands definately deadly. steelheads will do a number one job on any animal you want and will make for easy trailing my farthest trail job on a pig was under 100 and my best was actually two shots one was a broadside and it dropped him in his tracks and the other was a what i call a limp circle. both were shot at less than 20 yards and one a pass thru the other a quartering away that stayed in but wheni hit him he ran in a circle like he could only go in a circle and both died less than 10 yards from the tree stand i was in. it was pretty bloody and both bled out quickly and on impact they both just blew blood everywhere. the steelheads are devistating
rob k

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Interesting thread and good info guys. Like the detail ya'll went to as it illustrated your points (doh!) very well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not 100% sure, but if I'm not mistaken...the Grim Reaper mechanical heads I think lock open after impact.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My last 3 deer were with the Wasp Jackhammer. Looking at the entrance point on all 3 the broadhead was completely open when it got throgh the first side of the ribcage. And the exit wounds were excellent.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
To add just one point of interest......mechanicals will close when passed through a deer and come into contact with the ground. The impact with the hide of the deer opens the head and the impact with the ground forces the blades forward, closing them. If you were to have a non-passthrough with a mechanical and retrieved the arrow out of the deer, the head would close as well due to being forced backwards upon removal. Some people confuse the fact that the head is closed with not expanding, this is not the case.
I have never heard of a mechanical failing to open, nor have I heard of any credible source of non-passthrough due to the mechanical failing.

The original question asked if a mechanical would do the same damage (as a fixed head) if involved in a non-passthrough. I have no idea what the answer is but if the deer is dead, just ask it!

Jon

·
Registered
705 Posts
I did have this happen

Allthough I shoot Goldtip Gladiators and they are a composite mechanical. By this I mean they have a bleeder blade that is a legal fixed broadhead all it's own and then blades that open also.
Last year I had a buck step in a hole as I shot, I hit high,I thought I was above the spine. He tokk two jumps,with the arrow sticking out of his back almost straight up, turned right and stopped 17 ft from my stand. two breaths later he collapsed, and was dead inside of a minute. I did not know quite what to think at that time.
When I cleaned him I found the arrow had stuck right in the top of the liver and sliced it to pieces. Thus the reason he dropped so quick.
I believe the broahead did most of the damage while he was jumping,So I think (at least The Gladitor) does cut if still insidee.

I hope this is what you were asking. I wasn't proud of my shot but glad it ended quick.

ROB B

·
Registered
54 Posts
what kind of KE do you need to shoot the Steelhead? right now i am around 55 f/lbs. of KE. i shoot 60 lb. use a CX Hunter 200 at 263 fps. is this acceptable or should i go back to the trusty Steelforce 100gr. cut on contact?

·
Registered
852 Posts
LH - I think that 55ft/lbs of KE is more than enough to be able to use Steelheads on deer sized game with confidence... That being said, if the Steelforces are flying well for you, and doing their job, there's really no good reason not to continue to use them... Although a HUGE Rocket Steelhead fan, I'm DEFINETLY impressed with Steelforce broadheads... They appear to fly pretty accurately, and their terminal performance can only be described as DEVASTATING!!! If I were to go after big game that was caribou sized and up, I would most likely use 2315's and Steelforce broadheads - they are definetly THE stuff for the larger animals, IMO...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ive only used Mechanicals on two game animals to date.One was a Turkey,and the other,a big bodied Buck.I experienced complete pass through's on the Buck,and Turkey as well.The Turkey was unmountable,due to the extreme width of the Rocket Hammerhead.Ill be using the Steelhead 125 this year,and will post my findings,as soon as the season commences,and the shot's present themselves.I have complete confidence in Good Mechanicals,although im a fixed blade man at heart.Sometime's i just need to wade into deeper water. Good Hunting! Ill also echo the others thought's,those Rockets get the job done in a Hurry,with Much fanfare!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
LegacyHunter
The KE you are show is more than enough for the Steelheads. I shoot the Steelforce 100 and love them. Either blade will work with your setup. You just need to shoot the one that you like best and flies the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks guys, this sure seems to be a touchy subject with some. some say that it is not enough and others say that it is plenty. rocket actually told me that speed is the #1 factor not KE. i was floored. i am real confused now but want to try these Steelheads, my buddies use them and have had some of the most devastating wound channels that i have ever seen. they shoot 70 lbs. and i only 60 lbs. so wasn't sure. well i'm gonna use them and hopefully have the success that you guys have with them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Legacyhunter, I was shootin exactly 50 ft lbs of K/E last year with my splitfire 36 at 245 fps. I had no trouble gettin passthroughs on my deer with those tuff little steelheads. their tuff as a boot and fly great!:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts