Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Muzzy Zero Effect rest on my bow. The rest was set up on my bow from the shop and I didn't get the instructions or the video that comes with it. I noticed the nut on the bolt holding the main arm to the bow was pretty tight. I simulated the movement that the rest makes when the bow is shot and noticed this. I am concerned that this might slow down my arrow speed due to the fact that the cable slide has to work a little harder than usual to move forward when the arrow is shot. Does this seem logical? How tight should that nut be? It seems like if I loosened it to the point that the cable slide moves completly free the arm would rattle and make noise when shot.

Thanks for your time,
Jeremy

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Jeremy,
It does not need to be real tight... What I would do is call muzzy direct 770-387-9300 and tell them you bought the rest, but did not get the video. Im sure you can get one from them. The video is very informative and has some great hunts on it too!!! It has alot of little techniques and helpful hints for the rest which would help you. Good Luck

·
Registered
852 Posts
I set them up so the arm is just free to move. Disconnect the rest from the cable slide, hold the rest up so it contacts the stop plate then let it fall. It should fall back down to a rest position.

I tighten the main nut until it will not fall from the drawn position then back it off until the rest drops. It does not have to drop all the way down only to where the rest would be when the bow is undrawn.

There should not be to much play in the arm. If you have it to tight then your accuracy will be compromised.

It is quite easy to do it yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I guess I just like to tinker with this stuff. I tightened the nut the way you said and it seems to work fine. I have another question though (well 2 questions). First, why is there a stop plate at all? Couldn't the rest height just be adjusted by lengthening and shorting the long plastic screw connected to the cable slide? This seems like it would put less stress on the system by not stopping the cable slide prematurely before it reaches its normal position when the bow is drawn. Second, how do I know which of the three holes on the main arm the big bolt should go through? It came from the shop using the hole closest to the string. It looks like I would have more clearence for my quiver if I used the middle hole. Is there a reason I shouldn't?

Thanks for your time,
Jeremy

·
Registered
852 Posts
You could do away with the stop plate in theory. The stop plate is used to set your nocking point. The rest should stay fully up for the first two inches when the string is released. So you could creep forward a bit at full draw and not change your nocking point height.
Without the stop you could overdraw the bow past its stop and effectively raise the rest higher causing your sights to be out. You would shoot high.

Be careful when adjusting the long screw. I you make it too short then the rest will be up sooner than it needs to be. This may affect the timing of the bow due to the buss cables being "held" in a different position by the cable slide not traveling the full length on the cable guard.

Which hole to use to mount the rest depends on the bow and drawlength.
On the Hoyt "Tec" risers the hole closest to you is the only one you can use. You also need to have the arrowrest (hook) in the hole furtherest from you.

On non "tec" risers I would try to get the hook as close to the riser as possible to minimise any torque issues you may have. You do need good hand clearence. Sounds like you could use the middle hole.

Good luck with the rest. Used mine to shoot a Fallow hind yesterday. We ground hunt over here and the rest is a pleasure to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts