Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here is the story.

I was approached yesterday by a co-worker who asked me if I could get him some deer meat this year. I said, sure, why not. He said he would reimburse me for the cost of my license plus the processesing fee. This seems like a win-win situation as the property I hunt on could use a few less does.

I was very surpised at this guys request after remembering that I brought in some venison steaks a couple weeks ago and this guy wouldnt even touch them.

So curiousity got the best of me and I asked him what he wanted all that meat for (Im thinking maybe a family member or something). His answer to this question was something I least expected. He told me that his sister wants it to feed her dog! :mg: Apparently she has a Great Dane and the allergies are so bad that they cant feed it anything but meat. They have been going to the butcher and buying enough meat at a time to fill up a big chest freezer. As you can imagine, this is getting expensive quick and they are looking for ways to minimize costs.

So my question, would you legally take deer if you knew it wasnt going to feed humans, but was going to go towards dog food?

·
Registered
441 Posts
hmmm thats a tough one. i guess its feeding "something" so id go with its ok. I could imagine how expensive that would get. I may take flack or get flamed but id say ok. But then again im not the "Ethics Police" either....lol

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
sure why not?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thats a tough one. I honestly don't know how I would answer that as well.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
As long as the deer was taken legally I would not have a problem. They are probably going to have to find another solution though, I don't think one doe will feed a Great Dane for very long...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don't dogs have to eat too?

You wouldn't knock a coyote for making a meal of a fawn would you? Or is that different because a coyote is a kindred brother of sorts as it's a hunter?

If it's legally taken game, and you decide to give it away, I personally have no problem with a dog getting the protein in the end.

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
sure why not!

I plan on doing this exact thing this season for my own dogs.

It's incredibly healthier for them than store bought dog food which are high in grain - dog's aren't meant to eat grain.

I will of course save the tenderloins and backstraps for us, but I'm hoping to take at least 3 does this year for the pooches.

Think about this.......this first commercial dog 'food' was created in 1860. Dogs have been around a LOT longer than that. What did they eat prior to 1860? People food (table scraps, raw meat, etc.)

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
No way I would

With all the people in this world going hungry I would not feed deer meat to my dog, if you have that much extra donate it to a food cupboard or let the deer live.

There are lots of dog foods out there free of grains and other things that cause dog problems. My dog eats one of the best foods available at a high cost to me so it is not that I dont like dogs

The choice is yours but I would not do that. Again if you have more than you can eat donate it to a food cupboard or let the deer live.

Just my two cents worth.

Good luck this fall.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
WARNING Here in Illinois and in most states if he "reimburses" you for your any cost then it can be considered selling of wild game which is ilegal in most states. As for the license I just eat the cost of mine for the deer I give away. As for processing I drop it off in their name and have them call or meet me there to take care of processing instructions and payment straight to the processor. I try to be careful because some on this falls under federal law.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
I wouldn't do that but what I would do, and have done, is to cook up all the scrap that I'd normally pitch and give that over for dog food. To use the whole deer for dog food just seems like an incredible waste to me when there are a ton of people that could really use it.

·
Enjoying Archery
1,185 Posts
I shoot several deer every year. I always package up some of the trimmings for my dog. It is good healthy food for dogs. I don't think I would go kill one just for my dog though. However, I know plentry of people that just waste the deer the shoot. They don't even process the front shoulders or neck. Better to feed it to a dog than to throw it in the trash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would do it in a heart beat. If my dogs could only eat meat I would do the same thing. I believe in food banks and all other sorts of donation like those but in the same respect those people could hunt just as easily. Please dont take me wrong on that statement...I just think hunting is a way of providing for your self, family, dogs etc...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Unethical no strange yes........and just cut the deer up yourself and charge him what a butcher would charge ($60-100) that way he's not reimbursing you for the meat he is paying you for labor to cut up the deer. Cuts don't really matter and it shouldn't take any more than 2 hours to skin and cut up the entire deer just find out what size cuts they want. Heck if he goes for it come up with a flat price and get as many does as they want you could make so money on this deal not to mention balance your deer population some.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I feed my dog 50% venison...his favorite thing in the world is when I give him a hunk of cooked leg bone...

There is nothing wrong with this at all.

I'd rather see this than the deer jump out in front of a car, etc. People pay BIG bucks for the specialized venison food, lamb, etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm somewhat sympathetic because I also have a Dane, and food allergies and digestive problems are fairly common in the breed. Luckily, mine seems to be part goat. I would be concerned with the leaness of the venison. It would still have to be supplemented with some type of fat. Make sure the Dane owner knows how lean venison is. But that's not really the question.

I don't really have a problem with donating meat for the dog, although it seems like there could be better uses for it. Plus, in the long run, after you add it all up, the Dane's family would probably be better off using the money to buy a couple of quality bags of grainfree kibble. It would probably last longer and would definitely be easier to store.

Whatever you choose to do, let us know. Still whack a doe and show us the pics!:darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 140 Posts