Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Speed Thrills and Kills
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
freind of mine in OK has a bit of a hog problem...was thinkin we might be able to bait them somehow and get rid of them....is this ok in OK to bait hogs...i would think it would be but not sure....and is there one kind of bait that is better than the other maybe...anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Corn, corn, and more corn...

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
corn.corn.corn....

that's actually the best way to get them to come in and stay still for a shot...but i can tell you from first hand exp....you ain't gonna git rid of them unless you put a TON of pressure on them, bowhunting won't cut it...it will only deter them, but they will be back.

·
Registered
585 Posts
if you are goibg to set a trap you will have to lure them in. the best way is to use soured corn. get a bucket of corn and pour a beer in it and fill it up with water. let it set in the sun for a day or two. then make a trail going into the trap. be sure and brush in your trap and try to contain your scent. a little secret i have told many people but will give it away here is to get a couple boxes of raspberry jell-o. make a trail on your corn inside and outside the trap. after making the trail with the jell-o, pour beer on it and watch it fizz and bubble up. they cannot resist that for some reason. i have trapped thousands of hogs this way.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Another way to use the sour mash:

Hang a bucket of the stuff over the trap (if possible).

That way they won't eat it up in one day, add water or beer to it to keep it wet, the stink from the stuff will keep them coming.

As one of the other posters said, hunting them won't make a dent in the population.

Call in a professional trapper to work on them, get your neighbors on board also.

Good luck !

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
build a corral trap. plenty of plans on the internet. it really helps to trap them in groups, instead of one at a time. you dont want to educate them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts