Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to purchase a 60-70 pound bow with #4 cam and a half (the older, regular ones before the cam.5+), and I replaced those cams with a #2 cam for example, what would happen to my poundage?

There's a heck of a deal here that I'm considering but the cams are just a touch long for me and I'm hoping that if I were to put smaller cams on the bow that the poundage would go down a touch. Is this the case?

I know that with Martins, when you switch to a smaller base cam, the poundage increases on the same set of limbs. Is it the same with Hoyts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm thinking it will go up. I wanted to change the base size cams to the next size larger on a C2 cam, and the weight would have dropped the weight 10lbs according to Hoyt.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL perhaps I should make this a poll.

Has anyone ever changed from one size base cam to another and used the same limbs? What happened to the poundage?

·
edthearcher
6,492 Posts
change

you will get a lot of uninformed opinions here. I always suggest calling hoyt archery they have a great tech dept. look up there web site and go to contact that should get you a phone nimber. do not email you may wait forever

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I have a pro elite, it came with xt 3000's and 29inch spirals, 86 def. limbs.It was a 60 - 70

I wanted to put 28 inch spirals and had to drop to 80 def. because I wanted 60lb limbs.

Hoyt said that if I just swithced cams on the 86 defl that my poundage would drop to 65lb (which was still too heavy) that's why I switched limbs.

That was only one cam family smaller.

So your poundage should go down.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a pro elite, it came with xt 3000's and 29inch spirals, 86 def. limbs.It was a 60 - 70

I wanted to put 28 inch spirals and had to drop to 80 def. because I wanted 60lb limbs.

Hoyt said that if I just swithced cams on the 86 defl that my poundage would drop to 65lb (which was still too heavy) that's why I switched limbs.

That was only one cam family smaller.

So your poundage should go down.
Ok, that's more the type of answer I was looking for...someone who's actually switched base cams in the same cam "family" with poundage specs. I'll give Hoyt a ring on Monday just to make sure...

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
If I were to purchase a 60-70 pound bow with #4 cam and a half (the older, regular ones before the cam.5+), and I replaced those cams with a #2 cam for example, what would happen to my poundage?
Cams are the mechanical equivalent of a lever. If you look at two different sizes, within any type of cam, you can see that for any degree of rotation, the smaller cam will compress the limb less, than a larger cam. That lack of compression has the effect of reducing the amount of stored energy. You notice that as a reduction in peak weight.

Loss of peak weight with Cam & 1/2's is different with each class of cams, and is not linear with DL. On the average, you lose about 1-2lbs with each decrease in cam size/DL. Longer risers, shorter risers will lose PW at different rates, but lose they will.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yo Nick!

Got a '03 Ultratec w/3K limbs....50-60#. It had #5(30") Cam n 1/2 as I bought it. I put on #1(26") cams for my short draw son to shoot and I believe it made 51 or 52# at 25". I added tall rockers and I just checked and it maxes out at 57#.

One thing to keep in mind, the older style cams were draw length rated in the 'D' slot. To get best performance from these cams, it is best to shoot them in the 'E' or 'F' slot. When I bought my UltraElite, the cam was 30" in the 'E' slot....Those cams have a little less hump and they are faster too. However, I'm told the numbered cams (they look symetrical top to bottom) are more forgiving then the lettered cams (which are not symetrical).

Do I have you all confused now? he he

Hope this helps ya some.....

If ya want to give me a ring for anything I might be able to help you with, send me a note.

·
Time Flies
13,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cams are the mechanical equivalent of a lever. If you look at two different sizes, within any type of cam, you can see that for any degree of rotation, the smaller cam will compress the limb less, than a larger cam. That lack of compression has the effect of reducing the amount of stored energy. You notice that as a reduction in peak weight.

Loss of peak weight with Cam & 1/2's is different with each class of cams, and is not linear with DL. On the average, you lose about 1-2lbs with each decrease in cam size/DL. Longer risers, shorter risers will lose PW at different rates, but lose they will.
Very good...just what I wanted to hear.

Yo Nick!

Got a '03 Ultratec w/3K limbs....50-60#. It had #5(30") Cam n 1/2 as I bought it. I put on #1(26") cams for my short draw son to shoot and I believe it made 51 or 52# at 25". I added tall rockers and I just checked and it maxes out at 57#.

One thing to keep in mind, the older style cams were draw length rated in the 'D' slot. To get best performance from these cams, it is best to shoot them in the 'E' or 'F' slot. When I bought my UltraElite, the cam was 30" in the 'E' slot....Those cams have a little less hump and they are faster too. However, I'm told the numbered cams (they look symetrical top to bottom) are more forgiving then the lettered cams (which are not symetrical).

Do I have you all confused now? he he

Hope this helps ya some.....

If ya want to give me a ring for anything I might be able to help you with, send me a note.
Shooting at 3F tomorrow? I'll pick your brain...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good chance I'll be there, but I'm not registered, so it would be the 2pm line if I make it.

If not, I'm sure to see you at Gander.............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts