Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think alot of us less experienced shooters could benifit from some PRO wizdom on draw length and the wall.
We have heard the many talk about back tension but not how they pull against the wall with B/T.
I would like to know is how you guys like the wall to feel at the moment the bow fires.
Do you draw lightly to the wall and pull into it more as the back tension builds or do you draw to the center of the valley and just touch the wall at release? Or even pull firmly against the wall and let your back tension pull it hard against the wall when it fires?
What seems to be the most consistent?

Flash!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I don't know anything, so take this with a pound of salt:

You can never shoot a compound bow long-distance from the valley, because the variation in the draw length will change the energy that goes into the limbs, and the resulting spread in arrow velocity will mess up your groups.

Instead, you must pull all the way to a wall, where the limbs are not willing to accept any more energy (hard stop).

One it is totally clear that the bow is at the wall, and is moving no further, I presume that they just pull until they get a surprise break, but you'll have to ask one of them.... :)

Anyway, this is my guess, for what it's worth.

kgk

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
KGK if your cams are timed right it doesn't matter where you are in the valley. The arrow should go where it's aimed. So you can shoot from the valley that's how it was done with wheels and energy wheels with the long valley. Many of the bows nowadays have almost no valley so you need to shoot off the wall.

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,304 Posts
Against the wall.

Flash,
I shoot a Spiral cam Hoyt UT. I like to draw into the wall then keep consistant back tension until the shot goes off. With the spiral cam and it's short valley I find it's hard to get lazy with it. Maybe some of the other pros will chime in and give some more advice.

Robert

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply ASA. I just wonder if it really makes any differance as long as it is the same from shot to shot. Some have told me to pull "TO" the wall but not against it if you know what I mean. Another words touch the wall but do not put any or very little pressure against it.
I would like to hear how you guys (Pro's) like to feel the wall when your bow fires.

Thanks again..Flash!

·
12 ring's and P&Y's
5,304 Posts
Solid not spongie!!!

I like the solid wall. Since the innovation of these better cams(On all bows) I have found it easier to shoot the back tension releases.Insted of pulling back forever now, you can hit the stop and get a more consistant feel for the true back tension and not hand setting the "back tension " release that so many of us have been accused of and still do. I hand set a Stan for about three years until I stumbled upon true "back tension" shooting a bow with a shorter draw and accidently was shooting right. I think that alot of people are still doing this and don't know any better until taught right. Anyway, I will stop cluttering up your thread and I hope that this helps.

Robert

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Probably in NY maybe for the Worlds.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ian said:
KGK if your cams are timed right it doesn't matter where you are in the valley. The arrow should go where it's aimed.
Not at 90M. Creep forward a little or pull into the wall excessively hard, see what happens.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Creep tune your cams. Creep shot and pulled hard into the wall should hit the same horizontal plane.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
How

Use a draw-check-type of device to assure you of the same position, shot to shot, and don't rely on tension against the wall!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts