Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i have a question for all of you pros. do you shoot a trophy taker with your target set up? do you like it?
thankx :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Trophy Taker is a good rest and it works well. I know of many target shooters and a boat load of 3D shooters that use them.

I use a BriteSite Pro tuner for target archery. I guess I am kind of a "traditionalist" when it comes to target gear and I try to keep it as simple as possible.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i like between simple and comlicated so i can say, hey look at this ??? or this ?? and people will think it looks neat that have never seen archery gear, and so it looks good, but still simple enough that i can handle it in a competition if it fails. i am sure all of you like some complication making it look neat, right???

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Personally, I don't care if it looks neat.

A proper bow is going to look cool to a non-archer regardless of what it does, so you might as well go with gear that works and is simple...

JHMO

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Cory,

In general, most pros will stick with something simple that has a very very very low rate of failure. Even if something looks cool, if it can break down chances are they won't use it. When it comes to shooting the last few arrows for that $10,000.00 prize money, they don't want to be thinking about which screw could be loose or what piece may break. A keep it simple approach is used by many of the top pro archers. :)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like i said, i want simple and a little complication. the trophy taker, sure loc challenger, carter just cuz release, and a 26" stablizer (not v bars)i think is simple. i just like to put a small small amount of complication in. :)

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Cory,

To answer your question, I like both the TT set-ups -- dropaway and the Spring Steel (launcher/blade) -- for target shooting. I use the drop away for indoor target shooting because I like the way it works for larger diameter aluminum arrows with large fletch and I use the SpringSteel blade for outdoors just because I've always had good experience with launchers outdoors for smaller diameter target shafts. Just a preference thing for me.

>>------>

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cory,

Ditto to what x-ring said. Simple is my goal when outfitting one of my bows, be it target, 3-D or hunting. I have heard lots of good things about the Trophy Taker, but I shoot launchers exclusively for all target disciplines and a good old TM hunter style rest for hunting. Simple and durable and a minimum number of parts. And that means less opportunity for a part failure. This is challenging enough without having to worry about your gear!

Just another opinion. Hope it helps out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
arrow rest

cory, i personally have shot bodoodles for the past 10 years i guess. I've shot all the different models. personally i like the pro-lite & the new game dropper. i like to put on the light fins and then make the spring as tight as i can get it. this makes the spring steel do the flexing. kinda like a lizard tongue. Good luck

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
John,

Good to you posting here again. :) It's always nice to have pro archers chime in.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cory

I used T/T dropaway last year on my target setup and i was very
happy with it. Ulratec 29in 50# with 2213 . Hope that helps.

Bruce Williams

·
Registered
969 Posts
It doesn't matter what arrow rest you have. They all shoot the same if you don't get fletch contact. I shot a TM hunter ($15) and a lizard tongue launcher from 1980 and i won state with it...Its my hunting bow and i didn't have the money or a new rest so i put the lizard tongue half way through the season.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts