Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to an E-Bike store today and the guy seemed to know his stuff. I fell in love with this SDURO Hardseven 1.0 by Haibike. 27.5” tires, front shock system, Yamaha mid-mount motor and the bike fit me great for $2300!

But . . . it does not have a throttle. You have to start pedaling and it takes off as long as you keep pedaling. It had 9 gears and the guy said it pretty much has as much power as anything in his shop because of that Yamaha motor.

So how many of you E-Bike users have a bike like this? I was thinking just twist the throttle and go but this style does give me pause. Without a throttle though this bike is street legal. Does anyone else have an E-Bike that operates this way? Here’s a link on it below. Thanks.

https://www.haibikeusa.com/sduro-hardseven-1-0-4605.html

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,161 Posts
We have talked offline...but not about the throttle.

Personally, I don't ever use my throttle. The power kicks in on the first 1/2 rotation of the chain ring so its not needed, IMO.

Starting from a dead stop....especially if on a slope has to be a battery killer.

______

·
Registered
231 Posts
I do have a throttle on mine, but rarely use it. Probably the only time it would be handy is if I was stopped on a sharp slope with a load on or behind the bike. I'd use it to get moving. The motor on my bike has torque sensing so the peddle assist kicks in immediately. I do like that as compared to the PAS sensor.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm the opposite of Beendare. I use nothing but throttle 95% of the time. Literally no reason to pedal other than when first starting off. I ride 1/2-3/4 of a mile to my stand on a two track or across a fields.

I have Biktrix

·
Registered
15,388 Posts
I love my throttle. I paddle when I pass on the left so the person I pass don't get all weirded out.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I use the throttle to get started from a dead stop and when I'm pushing the bike up super steep hills that I can't climb.
Other than that I rarely use it ...with that said I would NOT want a bike without the throttle.

Here's the main reason I want the throttle and why I highly suggest getting a rear hub drive motor as opposed to a mid drive motor .
If you break your chain or derailer you can use the throttle only to get back ! With a mid drive motor you are pushing your bike back ....with a rear hub drive you simply use the throttle to get back .

I use my Quietkat Ranger in some rough stuff out in the woods and I've broken my derailer twice both times I was 2+ miles from my truck and I was able to ride the bike back instead of pushing it back .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
If it’s anything other than pedal assist, it’s classified as an OHV here, and I am 100% ok with that. If it’s a throttle then it’s just a quiet dirt bike at that point lol I will be building my own Ebike in the future

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
mine doesn't have a throttle, and you just peddle really, really slow, and there is no resistance when your peddling. it feels the same peddling as if you were riding a normal bike down a steep hill and you peddle backwards, no resistance, that is what it feels like peddling forward on a mid-drive with no throttle, no sweat.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Throttle is saving grace in sticky mud, hills or loose sad to keep upright. Also when my knees are cooked it gets me home.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I use my throttle every time I ride. I ride short rides often times by using my opposite foot standing just one one pedal. I never mount the bike. I use it like a scooter almost. I would not own one with no throttle.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,161 Posts
I'm the opposite of Beendare. I use nothing but throttle 95% of the time. Literally no reason to pedal other than when first starting off. I ride 1/2-3/4 of a mile to my stand on a two track or across a fields.

I have Biktrix
More power to you sir!

Thats pretty cool you can do that......

_____

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,528 Posts
Zero chance I would EVER own one without a throttle. I use the throttle every time I ride. Aside from the significant convenience a throttle provides, there is a very practical reason for a throttle and that is any time you are riding through taller grass or weeds etc. Having the throttle allows me to keep my pedals in a neutral position so that neither one of my pedals is in the down position at any point in time. This is HUGE because when the pedal is down or you are forced to pedal your pedals catch on the grass, weeds etc and can really mess you up or constrain your progress. I suppose if you just ride on pavement or well maintained trails and are never off road this wouldn't matter as much but it is a meaningful reality every time I'm riding around my farm - and especially over the summer (hanging or checking cameras) or during early season hunts. Again, for that reason alone there is ZERO chance I'd ever get an e-bike without a throttle.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Check your states regs on e-bikes if you plan to use it on public land. Pennsylvania doesn't allow bikes with throttles on state forest land, but pedal assist are legal.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
I have one of each and in fact I have mountain bike with a yamaha PW-SE motor.
It's 36V 250 watt motor and it is a BEAST! I never ride it in the highest level of PAS. I'm usually in level 1 or 2 for the entire ride. Even uphill. The yamaha system is so much smoother and better feeling than the Bafang.

My other bike is a fat tire with a 750W Bafang mid-drive with a throttle. I use this one for hunting.
I don't think I'd ever buy a hunting bike without a throttle and I'd never buy a mountain bike for trail riding with a throttle.

One thing about a throttle, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if you don't have one, you don't have the option!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Where I hunt it would not be legal to use a bike with a throttle, only pedal assist.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,161 Posts
I took my bike in to a remote fishing spot in the mountains. If I used only throttle, my battery would have been dead in the first 3 miles.

I envy you guys on flat ground.

____

·
Registered
493 Posts
Zero chance I would EVER own one without a throttle. I use the throttle every time I ride. Aside from the significant convenience a throttle provides, there is a very practical reason for a throttle and that is any time you are riding through taller grass or weeds etc. Having the throttle allows me to keep my pedals in a neutral position so that neither one of my pedals is in the down position at any point in time. This is HUGE because when the pedal is down or you are forced to pedal your pedals catch on the grass, weeds etc and can really mess you up or constrain your progress. I suppose if you just ride on pavement or well maintained trails and are never off road this wouldn't matter as much but it is a meaningful reality every time I'm riding around my farm - and especially over the summer (hanging or checking cameras) or during early season hunts. Again, for that reason alone there is ZERO chance I'd ever get an e-bike without a throttle.
This^^^
I don't know if I've ever even used my peddle when going in to hunt, I use my throttle almost exclusively when hunting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have one of each and in fact I have mountain bike with a yamaha PW-SE motor.
It's 36V 250 watt motor and it is a BEAST! I never ride it in the highest level of PAS. I'm usually in level 1 or 2 for the entire ride. Even uphill. The yamaha system is so much smoother and better feeling than the Bafang.

My other bike is a fat tire with a 750W Bafang mid-drive with a throttle. I use this one for hunting.
I don't think I'd ever buy a hunting bike without a throttle and I'd never buy a mountain bike for trail riding with a throttle.

One thing about a throttle, you don't have to use it if you don't want to, but if you don't have one, you don't have the option!
How does that 250 watt motor compare to your 750 watt motor, I would think that it's under powered in a hunting situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts