Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new slate call. I'm looking at either a glass or an aluminum call. I don't know much about either, as I have only a slate. What is the difference between the two. Give me some likes and dislikes and what you all think and which brands are good and bad. Thanks and Happy Easter.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
PM.. GSLAM95 he can explain it very well and probably would do it over the phone.:wink:

My 2 cents..I wouldn't really say that one is better than the other. You just get different sounds from each type of surface. I like a slate surface for early morning tree calls, and a glass surface later in the day for a little more volume. You never know what a particular bird is gonna like to hear. Altho slate is my favorite and woodhaven is my brand of choice in slate and the primos power crystal for glass.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am a pretty fair weather turkey hunter and ususally hunt out of a blind so I like a slate call. I have been using KITS calls for years and really like them. All calls seem to sound a little different so play with them and see what you like and more importantly what the turkeys like. If you use different areas on the slate's surface you make different sounds and actually mimic the sounds of the local hens. Good luck!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Glass has more high tones than slate, aluminum has even more. Aluminum is harder to use. I like a ceramic call like Primos Old Glory or HS(I think)Ol Yellar. If you use a striker that has a grey(JB weld) tip, it gets a higher pitch than slate and is more dependable, less affected by water, and doesn't need to be sanded as much.

Glass is supposed to be usable in the rain.

Slowhandstl

·
Registered
531 Posts
knight and hale sliver queen is the one i use as far as an aluminum call you can get some pretty good sound and volume out of it. primos the freak is a good call for soft sounds in close or at least that is what i use them for.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
I personally like the Woodhaven calls and their record speaks for itself in just about every level of competition out there. No matter if you are calling in a contest or in the woods I flat like the way they perform!

The Cherry classic is reasonabley priced for a custom call but the latest outstanding call that they make that I have added to the arsenol is the Crystal over Aluminum "Vision Series" and it has won many many competitions.

The Primos Jack Pot series are also a nice call as well.

I highly recommend checking these calls out, besides both of them are sponsors of the 2008 Archery Talk Turkey Contest! :thumb:

Here is Woodhavens site - www.woodhavencustomcalls.com

Primos - https://shop.primos.com/c-26-turkey.aspx

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Check out Weekend Warrior in search he sells a combo glass & slate.I just got one & it sounds great.You also can't beat the price for $22 TYD.He has a thread started for the calls in the classifieds.:cocktail:

·
Registered
615 Posts
I personally like the Woodhaven calls and their record speaks for itself in just about every level of competition out there. No matter if you are calling in a contest or in the woods I flat like the way they perform!

The Cherry classic is reasonabley priced for a custom call but the latest outstanding call that they make that I have added to the arsenol is the Crystal over Aluminum "Vision Series" and it has won many many competitions.

The Primos Jack Pot series are also a nice call as well.

I highly recommend checking these calls out, besides both of them are sponsors of the 2008 Archery Talk Turkey Contest! :thumb:

Here is Woodhavens site - www.woodhavencustomcalls.com

Primos - https://shop.primos.com/c-26-turkey.aspx
X2
I use Cherry Classic Glass. best sounding I have ever used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like bud n betty calls. They make a very nice call that creates a high quality sound. I met the reps for them and they said the slate was more for "bluebird days" whereas the glass was for wetter weather. Check em' out at www.budnbetty.com

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I like bud n betty calls. They make a very nice call that creates a high quality sound. I met the reps for them and they said the slate was more for "bluebird days" whereas the glass was for wetter weather. Check em' out at www.budnbetty.com
I own a Bud and Betty's call. I would probably own more of them but my customer service experience with them was less than spectacular so I won't buy from them again. I promised them I would tell this story whenever their name came up.

Long story short, I bought a custom slate call and a pack of strikers. One of the strikes was broken when I took it out of the package. I requested a replacement and sent them a photo of the broken one. Their policy was for me to pay to ship the strike back to them at which time they would replace it and charge me shipping on the replacement.

Wrong answer.

·
BOW ONLY!
2,591 Posts
In my opinion, glass is louder than slate or aluminum but aluminum has more rasp to it. They both sound different so you will probably end up getting both it is just a matter of which one to get first. I would try Larry Gresser at Prairie Game Calls or Wendell Rye at Lights Out Custom Calls. Either one would be a good choice for a custom call. It is the only way to go!

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
I'm in the market for a new slate call. I'm looking at either a glass or an aluminum call. I don't know much about either, as I have only a slate. What is the difference between the two. Give me some likes and dislikes and what you all think and which brands are good and bad. Thanks and Happy Easter.
All in all they are both great. They generally have different tones. I believe that the aluminum is a little easier to master than the glass. However I prefer the glass just because I think glass has a sweeter tone. If you go with glass seriously look at the Primos "Power Crystal", It's my all time favorite!

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
All in all they are both great. They generally have different tones. I believe that the aluminum is a little easier to master than the glass. However I prefer the glass just because I think glass has a sweeter tone. If you go with glass seriously look at the Primos "Power Crystal", It's my all time favorite!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts