Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a legitimate question because I honestly don't know. I've never hunted them and have no intention of doing so. What do you do with a dead bear? Is it just a trophy to mount the head, make a rug out of it or do you eat them or all of the above? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
All of the above, make sausage out of the meat, tan hide and make a mount or rug or just hang on a hook.. bug the skull and shelf mount.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Oh heck yeah I eat them . Makes great hamburger , roasts , steaks and of course mounts as well . Had a lot of sausage made one year . It is the ultimate archery hunting animal . Some people think it's un-fair to shoot them over bait but the chances of seeing one would very slim here in Wisconsin .

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the honest answers. I didn't know if the meat would be too tough or gamey to eat.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
This is a legitimate question because I honestly don't know. I've never hunted them and have no intention of doing so. What do you do with a dead bear? Is it just a trophy to mount the head, make a rug out of it or do you eat them or all of the above? Just curious.
When I harvested my bear (not a large one like some members got) but still a trophy for me,
I had the hide and head made into a 1/2 head mount rug which I displayed on a wall. Around
the edge of the fur, I had the taxidermist install a velvet type edge.
As for the meat, most of the bear was boned out and cut in to steaks, roasts and stew meat.
All the fat is trimmed off, which I will do to all wild life to prevent it from going rancid. If fat
has to be added I will use beef.
I like stew with sliced onions and mushrooms etc.
For any mounts, rugs etc. do not have them in a room where one smokes or cooks, as this will
get on the mount and virtually ruin it.
Several years ago, a restraunt I frequented in the city, purchased a large number of mounts,
small and medium which were in excellent condition and the taxidermist had done a good job.
Several years later due to smoke and cooking odors, these mounts were garbage.

One thing to watch for, if hunting when the weather has been hot, the bear can have rub marks
where it has done a lot of itching and or scratching and wore the fur off, leaving bald spots. Also,
bears harvested in the spring bear hunt will weigh approximately 1/3 less due to hibernation. In
the fall these same bears will be much larger as they are storing up fat etc. to carry them through
the winter months. Coming out of hibernation, it will take the bear a couple of weeks to get its
digestive system working properly again.
All the best.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tried it. Not a fan. If I ever hunt bears again, the carcass is staying out there

And that’s probley why ill never hunt them again, but it is legal to leave the carcass just not the gods

Most hunt for the hide and skull for trophy.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
All of the above, make sausage out of the meat, tan hide and make a mount or rug or just hang on a hook.. bug the skull and shelf mount.
Same here......:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

I tried it. Not a fan. If I ever hunt bears again, the carcass is staying out there

And that’s probley why ill never hunt them again, but it is legal to leave the carcass just not the gods

Most hunt for the hide and skull for trophy.
I know if you're from MI. and bear hunt in Ontario you need a export permit and that requires you to bring the whole bear back with you, hide. skull and meat (we have the meat 1/4 up), customs on the USA side even comes out to the truck to check the coolers and make sure you do.......

Mike

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I use the animal exactly like I do my deer.
the meat is made into sausage and pepperettes and Jerky.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I eat it but certainly not my favorite meat. I give as much away as I can lol. Backstrap is ok rest i just slow cook and season the heck out of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i know most of us eat deer backstrap rare or medium rare..is that safe with bear or do u have to cook it well done?
norm

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The bears I’ve shot were great the steaks were like a good filet. I cook mine medium rare well done is like leather and the ribs are good too. At bear camp any meat that nobody wants I take. Came home with 325 lbs of meat last year.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The bears I’ve shot were great the steaks were like a good filet. I cook mine medium rare well done is like leather and the ribs are good too. At bear camp any meat that nobody wants I take. Came home with 325 lbs of meat last year.
To each their own , however bear meat can have the same tricanosis or what ever that pig disease is and it must be cooked more than any type of rare . It's what I was told and taught and not willing to risk it . I am not sure what temp that is but the new norm for pork is 145 deg. ? so it may be worth looking into more ? I did ribs a few times and the first ones were so awesome ! However my last 400 lber had so much fat in them and I did not cook them down enough . I have a buddy that keeps all the fat and renders it down and jars it for pie crusts . Very best pie crust I have ever had I must say .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts