Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 proTec, XT 2000, 50-60# limbs with Excel cam on it. Could you put an Apex or Apex 7 cam on this bow and make it a 27.5 draw length???
If so which cam, Apex or Apex 7? What draw length would that cam need to be? What would be the cable and string lengths? And last but not least. What do you think the poundage would be? Am I nuts for even thinking about this project?:confused: :confused: Don't answer that last question. My wife has already done so.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spirals would probably be the safe choice, but I am still interested in adapting the mathews cam to this bow.
Anyone out there have an idea.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
It's a crap shoot!

I have done a few bows like this (frankenstein type bows, not this exact combo). It is an interesting project, and the bows are fun to shoot, but I'm not sure if there is any real advantage. Anywho, you are presently at 38" ATA and about an 8" brace with that Protec, is that about right? The Apex 7 is 37" ATA and a 7" brace, I believe. I would start with a cam that is for 1" shorter draw, due to the brace differences. The ATA is close enough not to change much. If you go with an Apex cam, that is 41" and 8" brace, so maybe get a cam that is for 1/2" longer than what you want. Your limb deflection may be quite different than the Apex limbs and limb configuration. I would guess you might lose some draw weight. You could make that up with a shorter harness and more prestress, but that would also change draw length. You can always buy a different size cam and sell the one you started with if needed. I would think it would take some time to get everything dialed in the way you wanted it. When I do this type of thing, I make my own "temporary strings" until I get what I am after, then make a good set or buy custom strings once I have the length. I guarantee if you ask this question on the Mathews forums, you will be strongly warned that it is not safe to do. You could end up with a pretty cool bow with your idea, but it will take some time and patience to "git r done".

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think you're nuts. I'm in the middle of an upgrade/conversion of an older bow myself. One of the guys here in the forum has been helping me. I personally don't need the newest, shiniest bow on the market. I like the idea of something that is custom built the way I want. Gives it a lot of personality.:wink: If you start with a bow that you already like and upgrade to newer and better cams, you'll probably love it! You'll never know unless you try it, you might just hit that right combination that is so sweet. Just make sure the older components can handle it.

When I get mine together I'll post it with some pics and let you know how it turned out. Good luck!:)

P

·
0 Posts
Size does Matter

If I was thinking of doing this type of conversion I would choose the Switchback “Type” Cam and Idler. They are approximately the same size as the Excel cam that is on the Hoyt. I once replaced a Excel Cam with a Conquest Max-Cam and Idler and the bow gained almost 10 lbs. Going from the large Excel cam to the smaller Apex Cam and Idler, will drastically change the draw weight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love projects like that. I shoot, was is to me, the best bow I have ever shot. I have had to build 2 others since then. 2005 Hoyt vipertec, with 2002 command cam plus cams. The bow gained speed, smoothness, less vibration and lost shock over the stock cam 1/2. I have 40# xt 1000 limbs preloaded to 68# max. This gives the bow the same axle as the old Havoctec, only with parallel limbs. Been shooting it for 2 years with out a problem. Just tried the 2006 binary cams in the same bow.......unbelievable!!!!!! More to come on that one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts