Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically the El series 10x42. Is the new model worth an extra $350? It looks like the only difference is the harness quick detach/attachments, locking diopter. Anything else I'm missing? It's a $350 difference between the 2 both brand new ones just the older clearance model. What you say?

·
Bonehunter
8,849 Posts
I don't like the new quick detach system, and the diopter setting locks on all of my models...SB & SV models. Make sure to try the Swarovision first before buying, you could be a victim of the "rollerball" effect...make sure to view and pan quickly left to right.right to left.

You can pick up the new SV 10X42's for about $2200, cheaper if you look around.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I have the newer model. More money but they are HD model. I believe they started making them in about 2011. Check and see if that is the difference in what you are looking at. Well worth the extra $$. Tom

·
Bonehunter
8,849 Posts
I have the newer model. More money but they are HD model. I believe they started making them in about 2011. Check and see if that is the difference in what you are looking at. Well worth the extra $$. Tom
No such thing, all EL's are Swarovision glass...it hasn't changed since 2010....Swaro doesn't have a HD model bino, only in spotters.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
No such thing, all EL's are Swarovision glass...it hasn't changed since 2010....Swaro doesn't have a HD model bino, only in spotters.
That's incorrect, there were ELs before 2010 and they obviously were not swarovision. All El ranges made today are also not swarovision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bonehunter
8,849 Posts
That's incorrect, there were ELs before 2010 and they obviously were not swarovision. All El ranges made today are also not swarovision.
You misunderstood my statement, the Swarovision came out in 2010(prior to that they were Swarobright) with the field flattening lens configuration...thus no HD is used on Swaro binos. All of the EL's today are Swarovision, except the Range series.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ones I'm looking at are the EL's with swaro vision. I can find a brand new pair (2014 clearance model) for about $350 less than the updated version that I believe can out in 2015

·
Bonehunter
8,849 Posts
Those are great glass, but look thru them first...if rollerball exists to you they are pure junk....you will get dizzy, light headed and maybe sick to your stomach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are great glass, but look thru them first...if rollerball exists to you they are pure junk....you will get dizzy, light headed and maybe sick to your stomach.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip! I've heard of this. Is it something one can overcome if it persists?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like the glass is the same and just some updates to the newer models. I was wondering what you guys thought of the new bino harness attachments? Doesn't seem like a couple hundred dollar upgrade

·
Bonehunter
8,849 Posts
They include an updated case also, that improves shoulder carrying(more for Birders), but I wouldn't spend the extra money. The glass and coatings are the same, it's either SV or it isn't...save the money and get a pair.

Good luck & enjoy your season.

PS: Don't neglect to check the other Alphas out too, if you don't wear eye glasses Leica makes superb glass & very short ergonomics...Zeiss's new HT & SF models are fantastic, and the best bang for the buck is a Conquest HD.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have the original EL's and a couple years back my buddy got the newer EL's..to be honest i do not see a difference...even in low light i did not see any difference...if money is no object get the newer ones.....but if you opt for the older version i really see no downside to that decision....they are amazing

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an older pair of SC's and cannot find a reason to upgrade to the newer models. Either the EL's or the SC's dont seem to be much of an upgrade. Atleast not to my eyes. Mine were purchased around 2007-2008

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would the rollerball effect be something one would notice right away on the EL's

·
Bonehunter
8,849 Posts
Would the rollerball effect be something one would notice right away on the EL's
Pan sideways left/right/left fairly quickly, and it will become evident if it effects you. The field flattening lens configuration is what causes it, tho it gives a crystal clear edge/edge view...that's why no "perfect" bino has EVER been made, there's always a compromise to achieve an optical advantage.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Pan sideways left/right/left fairly quickly, and it will become evident if it effects you. The field flattening lens configuration is what causes it, tho it gives a crystal clear edge/edge view...that's why no "perfect" bino has EVER been made, there's always a compromise to achieve an optical advantage.
Listen to Bwana. He's posted solid info here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts