Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a lot about archery. I've only really started getting into it this year, so my apologies if what I'm asking sounds a silly. There's something that's been bothering me though and I joined this forum so I could ask about it.

Technically, I'm right handed, but for some reason I've always shot a bow left handed. It feels comfortable when I do it that way. The only thing that I'm unsure about is that I'm right eye dominant and I wanted to know if that would be an issue for me when aiming?

I had been practicing and doing well, but then all of a sudden I got to thinking about this and now I'm not doing so great anymore. I think it's mostly a mental thing at the moment, but just in case, I thought I should ask about it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think that as long as you keep your right eye closed while shooting you should be fine. You would probably run into trouble if you tried shooting with both eyes open because your dominant eye would try to take over. There are some disadvantages to shooting with one eye closed...loss of depth perception, decreased field of view etc., but I think that alot of folks (me included) shoot one eye closed with good results.

If you were shooting well before you started thinking about the eye dominance, quit thinking :wink: & have fun!

·
Registered
15,825 Posts
Karateman said:
If you were shooting well before you started thinking about the eye dominance, quit thinking :wink: & have fun!
Define shooting well. If you are getting a nice tight group on target at 20yrds-yep you are doing well. As karateman says, if you are hitting who cares if you are pulling with your feet! A hit is a hit as long as you are consistant.

My brother has this same problem. He does great but I'm not sure how. He talked at one time about using a patch and retraining his eye, etc. He never did-Now he just shoots and does well.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
That's kind of tough since you already bought a bow. Normally I'd recommend switching sides and learning to shoot the way your body was meant to. You'd be surprised how fast your muscles learn to shoot. Your mind/brain takes a whole lot longer.

Other than switching, I'd just close your left eye and shoot.

David

·
Registered
176 Posts
Benn shooting left hand with Right eye dominant for 30 years but with age had hard time focusing with left eye.Change to right hand. took 20 minutes shooting and I was at ease.Better change to right hand as soon as possible it will help .

Taureau noir

·
Registered
945 Posts
Maybe I misread the question I know He said technically he is right handed ,since he said he was new I just thought maybe he meant right handed more than right eye dominate. Are you right eye dominate?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Eye dominance is key when figuring out if you should shoot right/left handed. I know a few people who shoot opposite their dominant eye with good results, but in general, you will be more accurate shooting with your dominant eye.

Make a triangle with both your thumbs and trigger fingers, hold your arms out in front of you and center and object inside the triangle with both eyes open. Now close one eye at a time. One eye the object will not be in the middle, the other should remain centered, that will be your dominant eye.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am right handed too, one day someone gave me an expensive fishing reel, the crank was on the right and he hated having to switch hand to crank after casting. So do I.
What I did is I statted learning casting with my left hand and cranking with the right. TO day I am ambidextrous, and guess what I cast more precisely with my lleft than with my natural right hand, why??? SImple, being right handed , my right arm/hand is stronger where as my left being weaker is more subtle and precise!!!!!
Does that mean women will be more precise tha man???!! WoW that will surely start a big debate on this forum!!!
Give it a try. You will be more versatile.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i am left eye dominant or i was,i shoot right handed with a bow and and have retrained my eyes,i have no problem shooting right handed with both eyes open but it took a little while to retrain my eyes so my right eye was the dominat one,i used to shoot with my left eye closed till it got retrained

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for all the input. I would have responded earlier, but I was gone on a sheep hunt for the last 5 days.

Judging from what you've all said, I guess I should go back to shooting right handed. I could shoot both left handed and right when I was younger, so I'm sure it wouldn't take long to adjust. I do know for certain that I am right eye dominant, just to clear that up. So, if it's more efficient, I'll go back to shooting right handed. The bow that I've been using is my brothers since he is left eye dominant, so it's no big deal, but I will have to buy a right handed bow.

Again, I really appreciate the help you guys. Many thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts