Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a question concerning arrows, specifically fletchings. If you look at the NFAA rules, under specific divisions/styles it clearly states "all arrows must be identical concerning .....". However, if you look under freestyle limited it states NOTHING concerning arrows. Rules concerning only certain divisions state anything about arrows while others are completely silent. So, technically speaking, could a person use different types of arrows in certain divisions (i.e. say feather fletched arrows for very close distances and small vanes for more distant targets or different colors for whatever reason, etc.)? Look at the rules for Freestyle and Freestyle limited vs rules for Freestyle Bowhunter and Freestyle limited Bowhunter. FS and FSL are silent concering arrows while FSBH and FSLBH clearly indicate arrows must be identical.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
FS is a shoot what ya brung class....no restrictions on anything but lbs and fps....:D

There are reasons that the classes that do have color/identical restrictions have them though....guys get sneaky in those classes:wink:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, is it legal?

OK, so would a person in FSL class be "legal" shooting two totally different sets of arrows during the same round? And why does your avatar look like Dennis Rodman with that red hair? LOL:mg:

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
You would be fine...why on earth you would want to is beyond me....

Rodman....that looks nothing like Rodman...other then him being a black dude and colored hair....it's actual from an album cover.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[QUOTE You would be fine...why on earth you would want to is beyond me....
QUOTE]

My son shoots FSL and at the close distances like 20-35 ft, 3 inch feathers are a lot more forgiving than 187 FF vanes. It seems as though the arrows with vanes don't settle down as quickly at those distances and he gives up a couple of points. The arrows fletched with feathers are very accurate at those close distances though. I figured maybe he could carry both and use feathers up close and the 187 FF fletched arrows for longer distances.

·
Administrator
65,518 Posts
[QUOTE You would be fine...why on earth you would want to is beyond me....
QUOTE]

My son shoots FSL and at the close distances like 20-35 ft, 3 inch feathers are a lot more forgiving than 187 FF vanes. It seems as though the arrows with vanes don't settle down as quickly at those distances and he gives up a couple of points. The arrows fletched with feathers are very accurate at those close distances though. I figured maybe he could carry both and use feathers up close and the 187 FF fletched arrows for longer distances.
I've never seen an archer switch up in field competition for the shorter targets.. we shoot the same shaft at 20' or 80yds... Nobody has any problems hittin the bunny targets with 187's... unless they shoot em for the wrong distance.. he sounds like he has a setup or form issue if he can't get consistent groups/flight at 20-35'.. he should be tubing arrows.. regardless of what kind of fletching he's using.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sticky am I reading this correct. You have 44,000+ posts...Son you need a hobby.

·
Member # 75
3,487 Posts
Why try to shoot something at long distance that you cannot group with at close distance?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never seen an archer switch up in field competition for the shorter targets.. we shoot the same shaft at 20' or 80yds... Nobody has any problems hittin the bunny targets with 187's... unless they shoot em for the wrong distance.. he sounds like he has a setup or form issue if he can't get consistent groups/flight at 20-35'.. he should be tubing arrows.. regardless of what kind of fletching he's using.

Why try to shoot something at long distance that you cannot group with at close distance?
LOL. I never said he couldn't get good groups at close distance. As far a "tubing arrows", I generally don't let him shoot the same spot that close to keep from tubing arrows. I said feathers are more forgiving up close than 187s. I don't think you can dispute that claim. How many archers, including pros, shoot 187s indoors? If there is no difference in vanes or feathers why did M. Braden shoot a four fletched arrow indoors? Why not just stick with 187s for everything? Fact is, up close, an arrow may not be quite as stabilized as further out. That is why you generally tune up close remember. That is also why most people shoot a larger vane or feather indoors - to get that quick stabilization. I have two sets of arrow built up the same except that one has 187s and the other 3 inch feathers and at very close distances the feathers are more forgiving. Nothing magic here. I was just wondering if it would be a slight advantage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts