Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks’,
I’ve been shooting since April 2017. Like all of us on here - fell in love with it!
Got a question though - I’m currently shooting a Halon 32, at 28” draw and 68# (half turn out each limb). I’ve been shooting a 375grain (finished weight) Maxima Blue Streak for targets/3D and plugged a turkey in the spring with them too - they shoot unreal..
but my question is: if I decide to go out and shoot larger animals (elk, moose, bear, large deer, etc), are these arrows going to pack enough punch to get the job done?.. I keep my shots ethical and won’t shoot unless given a near perfect opportunity (currently eating tag soup because I let down on a decent shooter deer, in fear that I’d hit a branch on my shot).
I gave FMJs a try but didn’t really like them - couldn’t get them to shoot as nice as my Blues, and I lost a significant amount of speed due to the weight (465gr).

Any info/help would be great!

·
Registered
281 Posts
You could kill a deer with your setup. I like to stay over the 420 mark for hunting arrows. Don’t let speed bother you to much either. I am pushing a 459 gold tip velocity 281 fps and its money. If you plan to shoot 3d build you a arrow that will be in the 280 fps range so you can complete in ASA events, that’s what I did.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In Washington that arrow wouldn’t even be legal to hunt with, I’m sure it would kill A deer, but as far as moose and elk go I’d definetly use a heavier setup with a nice sharp cut on contact fixed blade. Just my opinion

·
The Impartial Archer
18,814 Posts
OP if you have patients and make a good shot it really doesn't take much and you'll have people here telling you just that. The issues come when you don't get everything to go well. Then a little more weight & penetration is a good thing. How much do you need? That's a moot point because there are 1000 different answer and you will hear them all.

All that said if you read & look at people that really know you'll find out that they don't recommend arrows that light for elk, bear & moose....but many have success with them. On AT people do because it's a public form and people are free to do as they wish.......right or wrong.

I have seen this topic play out for years and what you'll find here is my 350 grain arrows always pass through even with mechanicals on one hand and on the other you need at least 600 grains to hunt elk. The truth is there are so many factors it's going to be a free for all here............

I'd read some articles on the net by hunters that are respected in the sport and follow what they say.........AT is a great resource but not for opinionated topics..........you'll get lost in the misinformation.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
To light for me. I prefer 7 grain per pound of draw weight or more for hunting big game.

People say a light arrow with a perfect shoot will kill any animal in North America. So will a dull field point, but most people don't hunt with them.

I plan on a perfect shot - I prepare for a poor one. I use heavy arrows with a sharp, durable, fixed BH.

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
OP if you have patients and make a good shot it really doesn't take much and you'll have people here telling you just that. The issues come when you don't get everything to go well. Then a little more weight & penetration is a good thing. How much do you need? That's a moot point because there are 1000 different answer and you will hear them all.

All that said if you read & look at people that really know you'll find out that they don't recommend arrows that light for elk, bear & moose....but many have success with them. On AT people do because it's a public form and people are free to do as they wish.......right or wrong.

I have seen this topic play out for years and what you'll find here is my 350 grain arrows always pass through even with mechanicals on one hand and on the other you need at least 600 grains to hunt elk. The truth is there are so many factors it's going to be a free for all here............
Good info!

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hey folks’,
I’ve been shooting since April 2017. Like all of us on here - fell in love with it!
Got a question though - I’m currently shooting a Halon 32, at 28” draw and 68# (half turn out each limb). I’ve been shooting a 375grain (finished weight) Maxima Blue Streak for targets/3D and plugged a turkey in the spring with them too - they shoot unreal..
but my question is: if I decide to go out and shoot larger animals (elk, moose, bear, large deer, etc), are these arrows going to pack enough punch to get the job done?.. I keep my shots ethical and won’t shoot unless given a near perfect opportunity (currently eating tag soup because I let down on a decent shooter deer, in fear that I’d hit a branch on my shot).
I gave FMJs a try but didn’t really like them - couldn’t get them to shoot as nice as my Blues, and I lost a significant amount of speed due to the weight (465gr).

Any info/help would be great!
Go heavy. I don't understand the fascination with speed. If you want to pass through a moose or large elk, COC heads and a heavy arrow with 20% FOC is only going to help you and has ZERO negatives. With your 68# even a 8 grain per pound arrow is only 544 grains and will give you speed (if you care about that) but lots of MO (the thing you should care about.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
When I went out elk hunting I shot 460 grain arrows out of my 60 pound Mathews Drenalin. They shot great out to 60 yards. Don't worry about speed with a heavier arrow, you will be fine with your bow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OP I use a 370gr Victory RIP XV arrow with G5 deadmeat mechanicals on my Reign 6 at ~305fps and they're killer.

Really just need to calculate kinetic energy with your arrows. 70+ ft/lbs and up is ideal for big game.

Then it just comes down to the shot.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
That arrow will kill a elk no problem and most likely completely pass through on a broadside shot on an elk. But... if you hit bone or thick muscle you’re better off with a heavier arrow. Really depends on if you range your animals or how confident you are on guessing range. A perfect hot with a light arrow is better then a bad hit with a heavy arrow if you mis judge 5 yards. IMO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all you awesome folks' that helped me out!
I ended up settling with a happy median (and saved some money cutting down some arrows I had WAY too long before). I've got a setup that's now flinging 450grain arrows at an average of 283fps. I gave 'em a go at my local range yesterday and I actually beat my personal best 20yrd/18m indoor score (despite much smaller diameter shafts - no line cuts!). I'm happy to have found a setup I'll be able to use for both hunting and 3D (like moco4man mentioned somewhere in this thread).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks to all you awesome folks' that helped me out!
I ended up settling with a happy median (and saved some money cutting down some arrows I had WAY too long before). I've got a setup that's now flinging 450grain arrows at an average of 283fps. I gave 'em a go at my local range yesterday and I actually beat my personal best 20yrd/18m indoor score (despite much smaller diameter shafts - no line cuts!). I'm happy to have found a setup I'll be able to use for both hunting and 3D (like moco4man mentioned somewhere in this thread).
That sounds about perfect IMO I like keeping my speed around 280-285 and that weight will be no problem for an elk, all the elk we have killed in the last few years have been with arrows between 450-500 grains

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was also having trouble with the 5mm FMJs. They were just not grouping well. I had a 475 grain arrow with 100 grain tips but it paper tuned just fine. Threw some 125s on them bumping them to 500 grains and all of a sudden they were stacking in tight. I was actually amazed about how significant the change was with one revision. Been shooting them since with total confidence. The bow shoots 248 FPS. Took a white tail with mechanicals and had a total pass through. It can be frustrating getting to that point as I had messed around with different spines, different arrows, different lengths, etc ( at some expense) but the final product was worth it.

I have since found that the software programs can be quite helpful in deterring a good build spec.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is there a brass insert for the Axis arrows that weighs less than 75/50? Maybe 50/35, anyone know? my 340 axis weigh right at 400, will use this for turkey and 3D, thinking a touch more weight up front for deer, but don't wanna go to a 125 gr broadhead. Have 2 brand new packs of Thunderhead 100s.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Easton FMJ! I shot a deer with a shotgun slug this year and one with a FMJ. The FMJ was way more devastating, the exit hole looked like I shot it with a 50 cal at point blank. Complete pass through, animal down in less than 10 seconds and still shooting that arrow and broadhead ( slicktrick fixed blade). Not as fast as a light weight arrow but if you shoot your bow regularly you will be accurate which is most important. I think total arrow weight was around 550 plus. I also shoot maxima reds out of another rig at about 400 total arrow weight with same broadhead. No problems with them but really impressed with the heavier FMJ as this was the first year I shot them.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Something that I'm trying out with my recurve arrows is weight tubes made with fuel line from Home Depot.

I took a small cut off to the store and found what fit and went from there. I added quite a bit of weight without changing field point or insert weight. Plus it doesn't affect the spine

The reason I mention this is that I'm also considering doing this to my compound arrows

I'm shooting easton axis 5mm, 50 gr HIT, 100 gr broadhead, 30" draw at 62# from my elite. 4 fletch 3 and 4" feathers.

They shoot great but again, toying with the idea of making heavier

1 - 19 of 19 Posts