Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some years ago myself and about 4 other hunting partners used the Thunderhead 125 with great success, when looking for additional speed we switched to the Thunderhead 100 while still enjoying great performance, figuring the 85 grain Thunderhead was more of a good thing most of us switched and it seemed we all felt we had lost the great blood trails and quick killing perfomance of the old reliable Thunderhead which we attributed to the steeper blade angle. It seems most of todays broadheads today share the steep blade angle of the small 85 grain Thunderhead with some exceeding it by quite a bit. Is there a point when the angle of the blade is less likely to provide a clean cut and tend to punch a hole instead of slicing. also I would assume there is a cost in penetration with the steeper blade angles although most bows today have power to spare. Has anyone thats been around for a while had similar results using different Thunderheads or broadheads with steep blade angles. If Im not mistaken didnt the originator of Muzzy broadheads feel there was an optimum angle for the blades ?
Thanks
BD

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just my opinion but you are sharing my exact thoughts. Years ago when bows were slower and had less energy we needed broadheads with cut on contact tip or a broadhead that sliced through meat with little or no resistence thus the 125 and 100 rain T-heads worked great and to this day still does. But with todays higher speed bows and less forgiving set-ups we tend to seek the smaller heads similiar to the 85 grain T-heads you speak of. I myself have recently switched to the new Montec Striker head instead of the T-Heads i also loved for years. THe striker head is more forgiving than the traditional T-head out of my faster bow of this day. As far as the Steeper angle broadhead of this day and age Blowing a bigger hole that a broadhead of its size years ago i would have to agree and like you stated this was the principal behind the muzzy concept...

Today we have fast bows that are less tolerant of bigger heads and this has spawned the rage of smaller heads with steeper angles and only time will tell if this design pays off..Myself i believe in the muzzy concept and believe that todays faster flying broadheads flying faster than ever before although being somewhat smaller will create the same entrance/exit hole as traditional heads used to.In my opinion or at least my hope is that the speeds we shoot these heads at these days will create a bigger wound channell than years past with slower equipment and more streamline broadheads.

Time will tell.. By the way I shot the 85 grain T-Heads years ago when they first came out and had a great blood trail with this head.

Thus MY confidence in this style of head out out of my faster Allegiance today...Thanks for this post.THis subject has been on my mind alot lately as well..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts