Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, I am suffering from some back problems the past 2 years that affect the draw weight of my bow. Currently I am shooting a Hoyt Katara set at 71lbs that is just a bit too much to pull back. I am looking at getting a Carbon Element in 60lbs for an upgrade and also so its a little more enjoyable to shoot. My question is, Am I going to suffer in the speed department dropping from a 70lb bow to a 60lb bow? I obviously would be changing my arrow selection for the new bow. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Your speeds are a result of grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight. You could turn your current bow down to #60 and get into a diff arrow and end up with much more fps than what your getting at the higher poundage.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
if your open to suggestion,, look outside the hoyt line,,, lots more "user friendly " bows,, dont get me wrong i like hoyt bows,, but having delt with back and shoulder injuries,, hoyt is not the bow of choice,, so if your looking widen your search,,, i speak from years of experinace with injuries,, after surgery it was very clear i would not be shooting my katera any more, no regrets either,, i found bows that are faster, and easier to draw and even cost less,,, nothing wrong with any of those options,,, and many of them quieter

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
What xman said. Don't limit yourself to 1 brand. I would say look into the elite answer with smooth mods, pse evo, vendetta xl and there are other brands with smooth bows so try them out!

·
Registered
50,331 Posts
Speed loss of course you will that is a given. Suffer for hunting/target no way. Arrows---- more than likely you will have to change arrows because your arrows(not knowing what you have) will probably be too stiff spine for the new weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah from what I was looking at I will have to go to the 400 FMJ's. I am currently shooting the 340's i beleive they are. Thanks for the input, From my recent expariments shooting several bows it seems like the draw weight is the major issue for me over draw cycle.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Draw weight or bow weight, it is easy (and cheap) to just turn the katera down to 60. See if that works before dropping a ton on a new bow. I went from a Vulcan to a Matrix just for the 1/4 lb of bow weight. ( well and it looks nice too).

Once you figure out the bow, then you can figure out the arrows, my hoyts likes them overspined so I shoot 300 our of a 62# bow. Those 340 just may work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts