Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a quick question on bow hunts. I am Going to the Goodman ranch soon for the Byron Ferguson Archery school and when I spoke to Mike I found out they have some Sheep hunts available. I had a couple questions and i was hoping some people that have hunted Rams could give me some advise.

My three questions:

1. My first question is which one would you go after and why?

2. I have never hunted sheep is there anything i should be practicing for besides Basic accuracy?

3. Do they have great Eye sight, Hearing or smell?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone here Bow hunted Rams? My Father hunted them years ago but did it with the rifle and I need to get much closer than the 200+ yards he did.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
How big is the enclosure?

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
I have hunted both animals and I personally prefer the Corsican only because of their color phase! Just my choice. Eye sight is good but chances are they are used to people so I would just be quite and still. Good Luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, these are not used to people the breed and all that out there and do not have human interaction except for hunters. Thanks for the eye sight information I will make sure the Camo is good and be very quite.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ya iv hunted Corsicans, Merino, Catalina goats, etc free range in west texas and guided hunts for them on a couple high fenced places (I know its frowned upon here) and I would say that they can be pretty tough to hunt you can fool their eyes by staying still but they can smell and hear pretty good. I like the dall just because I like the way the white coat looks lol Its a great off season hunt good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Texas dalls are real pretty look good on wall. Black Hawians look even better on a wall. The good rams seem solitary from what Ive seen on the high fence place I hunt and seem to like open ground around them.Work on stretching your shots and be ready to stalk up if you can.Good camo and scent control are real important . Goats are even harder they never stop moving and circle when they are feeding like a hog to keep others off the food.
Good luck
Post pics
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts