Archery Talk Forum banner

Question on shoulder location.

628 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hunter_tlh 
#1 ·
I read a LOT of post of people saying I hit "______" and arrow stopped on opposite shoulder.

How is it possible to hit both lungs and stick in the opposite shoulder from a stand?:confused:

How about hitting the heart and then sticking in the opposite shoulder.:confused:

Unless I am VERY wrong if you hit the shoulder of a deer with a bow....you messed up.......you shot TOO high and maybe a bit to far forward.

A level shot in the shoulder is MOSTLY above the lungs and NOT good...
A shoulder hit from a stand is to HIGH...but if you have enough angle you will get lungs.....but it(shoulder) shouldnt be in the way unless you had a deer quartering toward you...

This is assuming that the "shoulder" is the flat Blade part.....

I just dont see how it is possible to have a good killing shot and stick an arrow in the opposite side shoulder unless the deer is ABOVE you????????

thoughts and ideas
citori

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe it was a quartering away shot and hit both lungs and hit opposite shoulder/leg on exit.

#4 ·
There are so many variables to this it's a hard one to answer. Shot angle, treestand height, how the deers legs are positioned. A lot of times though in my opinion people are just catching the bottom of the flat part of the shoulder plate which definitely extends over the lungs as opposed to hitting dead center of the shoulder itself. I also think there are a lot of cases where people hit the leg bone itself which extends through the vitals and simply call it a shoulder.

#5 ·
I understand what you guys are saying....I know they drop etc....

There just seems to be a lack of anatomical knowledge sometimes.

But the HOW do you hit the opposite shoulder from a stand and still hit both lungs??????????

You wont hit it on a quartering away shot after you hit both lungs....

Also you will NOT hit the opposite shoulder after hitting the heart....leg maybe....

I also think that a LOT of guys say "shoulder" when they mean leg bone....

I just find it very interesting.......and I think a lot of people use the term "shoulder" VERY VERY loosely....meaning ANYTHING in the front leg

thanks
citori

#7 ·
It would be pretty simple if the off leg was back on and the foreleg was forward in position. I have a hard time with "shoulder" most of the time with these shots, it is the upper leg bone that stops the arrow, not the shoulder. I can happen as stated above with the quartering shot also.. You could feasably hit both lungs heart and the off leg bone with the same shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.