Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I will try this over here since all my practice is a lead in to bow hunting anyway. I tried general archery a lot of looks but no opinions. Here is the question-- there are 4 sets of mounting holes on my new Montana Gold. (beautiful sight) Is it better to have it mounted close to the bow, out from the bow, or are there other factors involved?? :confused:

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
OK, I will try this over here since all my practice is a lead in to bow hunting anyway. I tried general archery a lot of looks but no opinions. Here is the question-- there are 4 sets of mounting holes on my new Montana Gold. (beautiful sight) Is it better to have it mounted close to the bow, out from the bow, or are there other factors involved?? :confused:
I always extend the sight out as far as it will go and one reason is because i use a 1/4" peep and it's the only way i get get the peep and pin housing to line up perfectly so all i'll see is my pins....plus the fact i feel i'm more accurate and i can hold on the target better the further the peep and pins are apart.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have heard before to mout as far away from the bow as possible and have done this ever since with good results. Reasoning I guess is to have the sight as close to the target as possible, works for me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Entirely personal preference.

An inch or two forward or back won't significantly change the length of sighting distance between peep and pins to affect accuracy; it's not like comparing a 2" snubbie pistol to an 8" revolver, where you quadruple the distance between rear and front sights and thus improve sighting accuracy.

More significant for your installation is bow balance, how much of the pin shroud you want to see through your peep, and overall aesthetics. Recommend you put all your toys and gizmos on your bow, mount the sight with screws just finger tight, and see how it balances. I like my bow to be neutral balanced in my arm, or for the top to fall slightly forward when I don't grip the grip (if the top falls back I subconsciously try to close my fingers to grip the bow, not a good thing). Then after you figure out if balance is okay, draw and look through your peep and see what you think.

Pretty easy to remount finger tight in the other holes to see if you prefer another position or not. Of the two key factors, balance and how it looks through the peep, balance is more important to me. A peep can be changed out for a different size. If balance is way off for any position then a different setup of stabilizer is needed.

Good luck and happy tinkering!

:darkbeer:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts