Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably one that's been asked before, but searching the site I didn't see anything jump out too quickly....

this should be my first year that I can harvest a deer, and chances are I will be going it alone (probably hunting before I have to go to the office). I don't have a pickup truck at my disposal, so I am wondering-after I field dress the deer, what's the best way to get it to my butcher, which is about a 10 minute trip away?

I can try and ask my cousin for his services, but that's no sure thing. I wanted to let the butcher do all the cutting, because he's got a very good reputation for this. I have an SUV, but I'd want to completely protect the interior from the deer----would wrapping it in a tarp, trashbags etc work?

Just want to make sure I can get my deer to the meat man as easily as possible, without too much of a mess in my truck.
thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
get one of those racks from cabela's that plug into your reciever hitch, they cost between 80 and 150 dollars. They seem like they would work well. THis would save hauling a deer inside your vehicle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If only I had one of those. I wanted one, but we needed to get the truck quicker, and, well, we had to go without. As it's a lease and only with us another year, don't feel like putting it on now....

worth noting, I am pushing for a pickup to replace this.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
walmart sells a large mat w/ raised sides specially fit for certain suv's my buddy has transported large fish in his. when done yank it out hose it off good as new. no slime or blood on upolstery(spelling?)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will have to check that one out. was beginning to think like using a kiddie pool, sounds like the mat is the same idea, but purpose built for it

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts