Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages of using a wrap ? I'm going to re-fletch some arrows I have and was wondering if I should or shouldn't use a wrap ...

·
Registered
976 Posts
There are a couple advantages that I see. Fletching seems to stick better to a wrap in my opinion. I can't pull my vanes off a wrap with pliers. I use Gorilla super glue. If you want to refletch you can simply heat the wrap up with a hair dryer and peel it off fletching and all. It makes your arrows easier for you to see and gives them a custom look. Welcome to AT.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Fletchings adhere to wraps better to shafts IMO. When refletching arrows all you have to do is use a hair dryer or warm water to remove a wrap and vanes. There is no stripping the shaft with a blade so there is no chance of taking a chunk or carbon out of the arrow. For hunting they are easier to find after the shot and it is easier to see blood on wraps when it is getting dark. And they allow you to customize your arrows, if you shoot a lot of 3d there might be a chance of someone having the same arrows and same color fletchings as your arrows. With a wrap it is easier to identify your arrow and at a quick glance you can find your arrow pretty fast when there is 6 or 7 arrows sticking into the target. The only downfall to using a wrap is the weight added to the rear of the arrow. It only adds about 5-10 grains but that can affect your FOC greatly.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
As said before i think that the fletchings adhere better to wraps...but other than that it's really cosmetics...but i wouldn't make up any arrows without wraps now!! Definately a personal preferance though...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use wraps, the flletching stay on the arrow much better, and it is much easier to fletch your arrows with them, it also makes it a ton eaiser to find your arrow if you loose it while shooting

·
Back Yard Champion
29,024 Posts
They help empty your billfold faster. As for gluing vanes better, can't really say - I've put on wraps for people - I think it's really stupid to tear off perfectly good vanes to put on wraps and then re-fletch the arrow. Basically, I don't have a problem fletching arrows. Bright enough they might help finding arrows. There may be a little trade off in FOC, but only concernable if the arrow is border line to start with. I looked them over, saw what others had, saw them put on wrong, and put on in the wrong place - in front of the vanes. Personally, I haven't lost a arrow that I wanted to find, I don't use them for hunting, don't use them in competition and I don't need pretty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts