Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a hoyt maxxis that I bought a couple of months ago. After breaking in my strings, my draw length has stretched about 3/8". I took it to one of the local shops to have it brought back to where it should be, and they told me that the only way to adjust the draw length on this bow is to change mods. They said that you cannot twist strings or cables to bring the draw length back to spec, because then it will throw the timing out, and the only way to fix that would be to undo what they just did. You'll just have to deal with it they said. Tell me this isn't true (I know, just need some reassurance).

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
This isn't true..there you go. 3/8" sounds pretty excessive though. The strings on the last couple years of Hoyt bows are not perfect but better than you are describing. From what I have seen usually after a couple hundred shots you need a twist or two in the buss cable and everything is back to normal, then they wear decently. Don't think you would want to try to get 3/8" out of it. Did you turn your poundage down, change grips or something else that could be contributing?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may be closer to 1/4" than 3/8", I knew it was longer and just did a quick measurement before I took it in. Its a 50-60 bow, and it maxed out at 64 when I got it. So one of the shops that I took it to adjusted the cables to get it to max out at 61 and made sure it was timed correctly. Thats all that has been done to it. If I remember correctly the ata is a little short but close, and I can't remember what the brace was.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If that's the shop you bought your Maxxis at call Hoyt and let them know.

Then go to another shop and have your work done. All you need to do is twist the string. If your draw is that long from the strings stretching your timing is probably off anyway so the work they did has already been undone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drew back my bow with an arrow nocked, then had my brother mark the arrow at the center of the berger hole. I then used a tape measure to measure the arrow from the nock point to the mark. I know its not precise, but it was close enough to let me know where it was at.

I took my bow to another shop and they fixed me up. They fixed my draw length, timing, and put a new d loop on and set my centershot. Time to start tuning!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts