Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those who use a back quiver while hunting. How do you keep your broadheads from hitting together? I don't have a cat quiver and just purchased a 3 compartment leather back quiver. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I used a back quiver the first part of this season, since most of my hunting was one the ground (no harness to get in the way). I started off the season with hair-popping sharp heads, and after two weeks of banging together, they were still shaving sharp. I just touched them up with a ceramic rod for good measure and kept at it until I put my bow quiver on and climbed a tree.

I think the idea of broadheads dulling in a back quiver is over rated. My heads lost their fine edge faster in the hood foam of my bow quiver.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I put about 2 inches of pine needles in the bottom of the quiver...and check the spacing from the top when I put them in. After a few outings, some will be in the same place and some will have been brought out of the quiver and just dropped back in (on the other side of the divider)...so I touch up and reposition as necessary. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
What about making small leather sheaths for the BHs. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just a couple small pieces stitched/glued together for a 2 blade. 10 bucks at Hobby lobby gets you a good size bag of scrap leather. If your worried about noise, I would just tie the arrows together and then loosen them one I got to my spot. Unless you plan on stalking, then you might want to bed the bottom of your quiver with something soft.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm going to try some of the options that were presented here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Homey -

When I was hunting decades ago, 90% of the time I used back quivers, usually home made.
No one ever told me there would be a problem, so they worked fine.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
Hank -

Huh?

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I've heard a lot of guys say they use a couple inches of oatmeal for noise and protection.

Don't get cuaght in a warm rain. :eek:
I’ve heard the same…but my thoughts also run similarly...what's going to be sitting in the bottom of my quiver if I get caught in a downpour? (...not a problem with pine needles...they are free, relatively waterproof, and no problem with odor or vermin).

“Noise” often comes up as being problematic…but, when bowhunting, I’m typically not moving fast enough for that to be an issue. If I have to hustle to a different location, I just push the strap away from my body…and the quiver tightens up on the contents.

There were no bowquivers when I started, so the rather short/minimal learning curve was not optional. Any “disadvantages”…were just a matter of design features and/or personalization. Enjoy, Rick.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Oh, maybe I should also mention…that if my head wasn’t already fat enough, wearing hats can add a bit of a hassle to putting on or taking off a quiver…but no biggy.

Since the ‘60s I’ve been using 3 point hook-up quivers, which allow me to just put the quiver on to one shoulder and then hook up the remaining strap, in the middle of my chest. A strap never passes over my head…and just unfastening one allows the quiver to slip off my shoulder…with a minimal amount of motion. It always comes off when I plan to stop for a while…and “motion” is a huge factor when hunting.

·
Registered
644 Posts
What about making small leather sheaths for the BHs. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just a couple small pieces stitched/glued together for a 2 blade. 10 bucks at Hobby lobby gets you a good size bag of scrap leather. If your worried about noise, I would just tie the arrows together and then loosen them one I got to my spot. Unless you plan on stalking, then you might want to bed the bottom of your quiver with something soft.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bro..._8oQTK74HQDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1617&bih=973

BM

·
Registered
851 Posts
I make little "boots" for mine. But a remnant scrap leather bag and sew together two pieces of leather in the general shape of your broadhead. Make sure they are nice and loose so when you pull and arrow out they fall off. Naturally this is easiest with 2 blade heads but it can be down with 3 or even 4. I like them since you can carry one arrow in your hand with the boot on and not worry about stabbing your self with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts