Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AT

I just this afternoon got my Amazon box with a bowmaster style (not "bowmaster", but the same darned thing) press and two split limb "L" brackets. The "L" brackets are Bowmaster brand.

While attempting to use these on a Hoyt Charger, the "L" brackets simply walk up the limbs as tension is added until they pop off. I can't even get enough tension on my bow to to get the control cable off, which is the entire reason I even bought this rig to begin with. Apparently these are 3/4" brackets and not the "standard" sized brackets. These are for "large cam" bows, however the item description called them "standard 3/4 brackets".

Has anyone else used a bowmaster press on a Hoyt Charger with success? Has anyone here had the issue of the brackets "walking off" the limb tips with any bow? (see picture). I have found another listing for "standard" brackets, one commenter also mentioned that he used them fine with the Hoyt Charger specifically, but that was only his experience. I do not want to waste my time or money buying more brackets if it's just going to be a waste.

Other things to consider: Is the hoyt charger "past parallel"? The limbs at rest are very close to parallel, however at full draw they are well beyond parallel. I think of "past parallel" as being something like a Bowtech RPM 360 or Obsession Evolution. Some bow manufacturers advertise their limbs as being "past parallel" because they are at full draw, I guess to drive sales... The "L" brackets are clearly labelled not for use on past parallel bows.

Secondly, my ATA is 1/8" short, however I can't see this being an issue. But please correct my thinking there if I am wrong. Should I stick with this or cut my losses now? I do not have the money for a traditional bench top bow press, but I'll have one someday.

Iron Bicycle part Metal

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is so ridiculously confusing. I have seen several eBay and other listings saying that 3/4" is standard (fitting 90% of bows on the market). Now I'm half convinced that I got the correct brackets and that bowmaster is junk. Any input welcome.

· Registered
11,415 Posts
Bowmasters are made for the bows of the past IMO. They work on non-parallel limbed bows and that is about it. Sure, they "fit" 90% of the bows on the market but that's not saying they work safely/correctly with all the bows.

I'd return it, if I were you and invest in a cheap press in the classifieds.

· Registered
4,797 Posts
Those should be the correct brackets. I'm not sure what would be causing that problem. I use a Bowmaster and 3/4 inch L brackets and have never had a problem. Can you post a pic of the whole bow with the press on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
5,001 Posts
Return the "bowmaster style " , keep the brackets and go buy a real bowmaster, been using them for years with no trouble, using it now on a Bowtech Experiance and a hoyt Alpha Elite.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
If the "L" brackets have Bowmaster stamped on them, you can press bows up to 6* past parallel. If not they are not for past parallel.

Call LAS & talk to a tech & they will steer you in the right direction for getting your bow pressed. After looking at Ebay, LAS won't cost anymore & you'll get the right stuff.

· Registered
268 Posts
interested in this as well since just an hour ago i was considering ordering one... a quick note, the nockoff brands on amazon had some complaints of the adjustment nocks on the cable letting go on first use...

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! I didn't get emails for all the replies after the first one, I thought this thread was dead. I will post pics tomorrow of the entire bow with the press assembly attached. I also tried backing the limb bolts off 6 turns; I heard in a YT video that this really reduces the load on the press (makes sense), and while it worked somewhat better, it was still not anything like the how well the real bowmaster seemed to work in videos I've seen of them.

· Registered
338 Posts
Ive been using Bowmaster to replace string & cables or even limbs on Carbon Element G3 (limb geometry is roughly the same like in Charger). One remark, plastic covers on original Bowmaster L adapters are really sticky, so I have not any issues with them to come off from limbs during pressing on parallel or slightly past parallel limbs (mentioned before Element G3, PSE Supra and Drive LT). Try to borrow from someone original adapters and see.

· Registered
190 Posts
To treat the symptom here and not the problem, tie a piece of string to one of the limb axles inside the yolk but on the outside of the limb, put on the bracket, run the sting around the closest bracket leg and tie off tight. Repeat for the other side of the bracket, and the other bracket on the opposite end. Should keep the bracket from being able to slide off so you can press the bow for now, until you figure out why it's trying to slide off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.