Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother went out hunting in our spot today. I didn't go because I was sick and didn't sleep well last night. He took a shot at 1 of 4 deer in the site and missed because he was bulked up with all his layers on. He's wondering tho - will the deer come back to that spot? We've been feeding them a little corn each day. What do you think???

Thanks!! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
656 Posts
IMO if its just a deer yes, if its old & played the game before i would still say yes but it'll probably be black dark. goodluck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking too. We've been putting out about a gallon of corn each day out there. He said they came running in today just before dark. Last night when we were out there there were two just out of sight of being able to shoot them. Had to leave tho because it got too dark to shoot. I'm glad they are coming in so heavily. They are really hungry with all the snow we've gotten this year. Much earlier than the last few years.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
They'll be back. Unless they saw him/pinpointed the stand, they probably have no clue exactly what happened...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
google deer memory and find out

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, he said they never even saw him. Good thing. If I was there I would have had one! Dang it for being sick and sleeping all day today!! GR! Oh well, still have until the 5th of January to get more.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Googled it and found this: "Deer have such short memories that they often cannot recall, only three minutes after the event, something that may have alerted them. If you cough or snap a twig, stop and remain perfectly quiet for several minutes. Nearby deer will go back to their previous activities, and you can resume your prowl, confident they are no longer suspicious."

"Deer are not very intelligent. In fact they are mental dimwits compared to birds of prey, members of the cat family, dogs, and pigs. But whitetails have keen survival instincts and are therefore clever at getting out of sticky predicaments."

This was from Outdoor Life Deer Hunter's Yearbooks 1984. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If they actually did not see him and make him for a human they will be back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts