Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I bought a PSE Nighthawk bow, and the dealer stuck on a shelf bottom rest and a side rest.

Please see picture attached: should the arrow be placed in the fold down side pocket area where
my finger is holding it down?

Or should the arrow be placed on the bottom shelf with cloth material?

This rest is very different from the plastic hook arrow holders I have used taking lessons, and on my Gillo.

Any help appreciated!
Textile Sleeve Collar Denim Wood

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Looks like a rug and side plate to me. Shop probably assumed you were going to shoot it off the shelf. The shelf looks a little too flat to shoot that way to me. Whenever you get a chance, get a hoyt super rest and stick on it. They are only about $3. If you are going to keep shooting it off the shelf, do a search about building up a hump with a toothpick or furniture pad. You want the arrow resting on a small area, not the whole shelf if possible.

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,892 Posts
heres a pic to give you an idea.

you dont have to raise it up to the rest hole like i did,
but it will give you an idea of what we mean by putting a bump under the shelf material.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Honestly a simple stick-on rest simplifies tuning, allows for much better arrow clearance, much less drag, etc.. I don't know why people mess with shooting off the shelf. It's not simpler and it's not the only "trad" thing. But if you must....you must. :)
Wood Plant Thigh Art Elbow
I I make my own rests for the most part, just a pliable heavy plastic finger with velcro backing. I also use the Hoyt Super Rest and have used them since 1967 when they were just Hoyt Pro Rests.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
It looks like the side plate is coming apart on you. On the rest you have, the arrow should sit on the shelf and ride against the strike plate when released. Were it mine, I'd take all that off and put on a Hoyt Superrest.

Reactions: Dartwick

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
A really nice rest is the NAP Flipper 2. I remove the upper part of the side plate above the flipper arm so my arrow is as close to the riser as is possible. A bombproof rest, and you can replace their teflon tubing which covers the flipper wire with a piece of the red tube that comes with WD40. Set up could last decades.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How does it shoot. I am thinking of getting one. The price?? It seems inexpensive, but I need a new bow, my 65# Damon Howat is too heavy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Weather you shoot off the shelf or buy a raised rest mount the rest in line with the deepest part of the grip. I have a couple bows I shoot off the shelf, I use the toothpick gimmick. The idea is less arrow contact with the shelf the better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm having a problem making out just what that is stuck on the window. Never have seen anything like it. Some kind of left hand elevated rest maybe? But ya, I like the Hoyt super rests as mentioned. The homemade one Toxalot is showing is almost free. Maybe he'll put up the link showing how he makes them.

Steve

·
Registered
563 Posts
Im pretty sure the side plate has the outer layer rolling down and hes confusing that with a rest.

I think it was set up to shoot off the shelf pad.

Its generally easy to set up a bow with a rest. You can remove the pad on the bottom and the and clean it up with alcohol and then just stick hoyt super rest or your rest on choice on it - if you like rests,

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does it shoot. I am thinking of getting one. The price?? It seems inexpensive, but I need a new bow, my 65# Damon Howat is too heavy.
I really like the PSE Nighthawk. Bow with limbs and string was about $200? It is a quality rig, and very beautiful.
Light bow weight compared to my Gillo GT.

·
Genesis 21:20
23,936 Posts
Reactions: lucydad
1 - 15 of 15 Posts