Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the Lancaster finals and was wondering? Why the full length arrows & 5" feathers for indoor? ive never shot indoor. thx, Robinhedd

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
I started shooting some indoors this year and that is what the shop set up for me too and i have no idea why. It is only 20 yards and people ding the 14 ring at ASA tourneys from twice the distance with completely the opposite arrows?? I am in as i would like to know as well.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Usually indoor arrows are the big, fat shafts. We tend to leave them full length so that the dynamic spine is closer to optimal. I don't know if the reasoning is valid, but often you will see full length arrows with very heavy points. They weigh a lot, so are very slow, but for indoor target, speed is not an issue.

The 5" fletching is there to stabilize these huge logs as much as possible, as quickly as possible. 700 grain arrows have a lot of momentum, even at 180 fps, so it takes a bigger rudder to get them under control within 20 yards.

Allen

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
It comes from the mentality that a indoor shooter wants the most forgiving setup he can get and if a 4 or 5 inch feather or vane gives me even one millionth of a chance of my arrows being more accurate and forgiving then I am doing it.

I am totally convinced that my 3d arrows that are shooting 295 fps and only weigh 372 grains with 120 grains up front with 2 inch feathers are just as accurate as my long indoor arrows with 250 grain points and 4 inch feathers. But when I am shooting indoor I use the indoor arrows.

I will say that shooting a indoor arrow that is heavy has a great feel to it, it changes the bow feel as it fires and the arrow speed is really relaxing compared to shooting laser beams. I think that this draws me to using my indoor arrows more than anything else especially when I spend 3 months shooting indoor per winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts