Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a new Winner's Choice string and cable put on my Ross CR334 by the guys at Sportsmans Warehouse. The label on my bow says that the string length is 95 1/8" and cable length is 35 1/2". The package for what they put on says the string is 95" and buss is 36 1/4".

I am now only getting 63 lbs of draw on a 70 lb bow. I'm sure that it is because the cable they put on is too long. But what about the string. Does Winner's Choice make a string that is exactly 95 1/8" or just 95"?

I want to make sure that I know the facts before I take the 3 hour ride back to Sportsmans Warehouse.

**And this is not a: "You should have bought brand X of string" thread.**

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
1st off what is your EXACT brace hieght and Axle to axle measurements right now with this string on?

Have you tried adding twists in your strings and cables?

PM me, I can get you hooked up if you have a bow press handy......need to tighten the strings and cables up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a tape measure handy, mine is in storage right now and no bow press. I have to work today and will pick up a tape measure.

I had a new peep put on and had the guy put a BUNCH of twist on the cable to get the cam rotated around. It is still not quite there yet (the mod screw is still partially covered by the limb fork). I'm not sure how many twist he did put in but he quit because he didn't want to put so much in. He also thought that the draw still felt off. It was his comment that caused me to check the length in the first place.

I guess that I want to start with the correct size and add a few twist here or there to fine tune :wink:

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
Lung Buster 371 said:
I recently had a new Winner's Choice string and cable put on my Ross CR334 by the guys at Sportsmans Warehouse. The label on my bow says that the string length is 95 1/8" and cable length is 35 1/2". The package for what they put on says the string is 95" and buss is 36 1/4".

I am now only getting 63 lbs of draw on a 70 lb bow. I'm sure that it is because the cable they put on is too long. But what about the string. Does Winner's Choice make a string that is exactly 95 1/8" or just 95"?

I want to make sure that I know the facts before I take the 3 hour ride back to Sportsmans Warehouse.

**And this is not a: "You should have bought brand X of string" thread.**
They should make one to exact length as specified or as needed, I would say that you have the wrong string and cable lengths for your bow, if they are not exact you will loose performance from the bow and you do not want to be adding that many twist into the cable to get it short enough, 3/4 in is way to long and would take a lot of twist to get it short enough. Did you have them order it for you or did you just go there and buy it from them? In many cases if you just bought it from them then that is what you get, to long of a cable or string and they hope to twist it to get it to work or make it look good and its then still not right. I have been making strings for quite a while now and if they are not perfect it takes alot of time to twist or untwist to correct the problem.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron,

I went by there and they had string/cable in stock. They are Ross dealer so I asked them to put them on. They have a whole wall full of different sizes. Your point about putting too many twists in them is what I thought and the answer I was looking for. Guess it's off to SW for them to change out what they put on.:mad: :mad:

Ron Harmon said:
They should make one to exact length as specified or as needed, I would say that you have the wrong string and cable lengths for your bow, if they are not exact you will loose performance from the bow and you do not want to be adding that many twist into the cable to get it short enough, 3/4 in is way to long and would take a lot of twist to get it short enough. Did you have them order it for you or did you just go there and buy it from them? In many cases if you just bought it from them then that is what you get, to long of a cable or string and they hope to twist it to get it to work or make it look good and its then still not right. I have been making strings for quite a while now and if they are not perfect it takes alot of time to twist or untwist to correct the problem.

·
EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,626 Posts
Even if they would have had a cable that was 1/16 short it would have been better then the 3/4 to long cable. Good luck and sorry you have to drive that far to get it changed and made right. Check the Ross web site for trhe exact lengths of cable and string for your bow and ATA length along with brace height then compare it to your bow measurements as to what they are now. You need to have them for more proof in your pocket that what they did is not correct as to what the bow is to be set at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts