Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a round wheel pse at 48 pound with carbon arrows and wasp sledgehammer 100 grain ( i think they are called slegde hammers but they are expandables) should i stay with this head or go with a fixed??

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Personally, not knowing much more about your setup. I'd say a fixed blade is in order.

Bo

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
With the 48 lb pull you have a low Kinetic energy setup. If I remember right those broadheads have a rather large cutting diameter. If your shot placement is perfect and you don't hit bones you might get a clean kill.

With the lower poundage I would get a smaller broadhead. naildriver is a small mechnical that might work better for you. The ulitmate steel, or muzzy four blades would be good for fixed broadheads.

·
74,535 Posts
Fixed would be better

You dont have enough kinetic energy for the expandables. I use the SST fixed, they fly great. I just shot mine in broadhead tournament and did well.

I shoot the 75grn also. They work for me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Fixed blades are probably your best bet. Good luck and post some pictures of your kills.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fixed

MattC,I agree with the masses.I think at your poundage you would be better off with a small fixed blade.

·
Registered
371 Posts
They say you need 50 ft lbs of kinetic engery for the expanables to open properly. I know your setup is producing that much.

Go with a fixed. I see where Bear Razorheads come in 100 grains now, that is a good broadhead. I have shot the 145's and the 125's and they did me well.

You might try the new Crimson Talons in an 85 grain. It's a bad looking head, 6 blades altogether.

Or go with the Muzzy, you can't go wrong with it. They make a 75 grain 3 blade.

I shoot the 3 blade 100 grain and it flies just like my field points.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts