Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a Stone HTR Mathews NoCam the other day and was wondering what to do with my 2014 model Hoyt CS34. I like both of the bows, even though they are two totally different animals, but was wondering about keeping one as my main 3D bow and the other as a back up. Then it hit me, do I need to have two bows with complete set ups or can I get away with swapping out the sights and stabs. Is it really beneficial to have 2 bows or is it best to sell one and go all in on the one I keep and deck it out with really nice gear? This is going on my second year shooting 3D and I am looking for some good advice on what a lot of you other shooters are doing. Is a back up bow mainly for hunting or does one need a back up for 3D as well. I did notice while I was shooting in Cullman Al, last year that some guys had 2,3 and even 4 bows they were carrying to an event.

·
Lou & Jode
10,835 Posts
So I picked up a Stone HTR Mathews NoCam the other day and was wondering what to do with my 2014 model Hoyt CS34. I like both of the bows, even though they are two totally different animals, but was wondering about keeping one as my main 3D bow and the other as a back up. Then it hit me, do I need to have two bows with complete set ups or can I get away with swapping out the sights and stabs. Is it really beneficial to have 2 bows or is it best to sell one and go all in on the one I keep and deck it out with really nice gear? This is going on my second year shooting 3D and I am looking for some good advice on what a lot of you other shooters are doing. Is a back up bow mainly for hunting or does one need a back up for 3D as well. I did notice while I was shooting in Cullman Al, last year that some guys had 2,3 and even 4 bows they were carrying to an event.
If you're going to travel and compete you should have a back up bow that is ready to go in case your primary bow fails. If I'm going to spend $ for a room and all that goes with competing I'm sure going to spend $ on an extra bow.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I shoot 3d for fun so a don't need a back up bow. If you are going to travel and compete with the big boys, your going to need a back up ready to go.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I shoot 3d for fun so a don't need a back up bow. If you are going to travel and compete with the big boys, your going to need a back up ready to go.
I agree kinda. I have a 3D bow that is my backup hunting bow and I have a hunting bow that's my backup 3D bow, I never take an extra bow to a 3D shoot thou because if your bow goes down during the shoot your pretty much screwed anyway, if something happens to your bow before a shoot or hunting trip (which by the way is way more important to me) you have an extra bow ready to go with maybe some minor adjustments.

·
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, very good information. So as far as traveling to shoot 3d do you have 2 of the same set ups that way it all is the same?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I prefer to have a bow set up primarily for an event.

For example, my goto bow for 20 yard spots is a Triumph completely set up with Full Bores, Axcel sights, and B-stingers.

For a backup, I have a ChillX, also complete set up with GT 22s, Axcel sights, and B-stingers (with different weighting than the Triumph requires)

My primary for 900 rounds is the ChillX.

The backup for 900 rounds is an MR-6, with X10s, Sureloc sight, B-stingers (with different weights than either of the above)

3D -- SBXT, GT 22, 5 pin Axcel sight, 12" B-stinger

3D backup and primary hunting-- Z7XT, 330 injections, Tru-glo sight, 6" Fuse stabilizer

My object is to be able to set one down and pick up the backup without having to rob the primary to use the backup.

If I'm going to go to all the trouble to travel to compete, I'm going to go prepared to cope with issues.

Set up the same?? Each tuned for its arrow. Each set up to fit my DL required so I use the same anchor references. I use the same releases across all the competitive scenarios. With the exception of the MR-6, they all have the same grip. DW unique for each bow.

It would have been nice to have multiples of the same bow, but I could not afford to buy them at the same time.

·
Banned
283 Posts
As long as you can shoot both good when switching back and fourth they dont need to be the same. For examply, my 3D bow is a conquest 4 and my backup is either a chill or a chill x pro. Not even close to the same bows but i can pick either one up and shoot 10 up.

·
Socket Man
24,303 Posts
Tough decision, I had a back up bow this winter and my primary bow had a limb pocked break so I stripped my bow down and in 15 minutes I was up and running with the back up. That sounds great but the back up bow sucks and i hate it and instead of fixing my broken bow I shot the bad one for a couple weeks and wasted my time with it, once I put my mind on task I fixed the broken bow in less than a hour.

If the back up bow is solid and something you trust then it is a awesome thing if not I do everything in my power to get the other one back up and running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts