Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section, but I had a question related to selling that wasn't fully answered by reading the sticky threads in the Classifieds section.

I'm relatively new to Archery and purchased my first bow this year, but now I'm exiting the sport and planning to sell my equipment and trying to figure out the logistics for how to transfer my old bow to its new owner. Long story short, my buddy who I'd been going to the range with is moving and I don't see myself continuing without him.

When people ship the bow, how do they typically box it up? I don't have the box it came in. The archery store I got it from didn't give me the box. Is this something that you can take to your local UPS or FedEx store and have them take care of it? Bows definitely seem like an awkward shape to ship.

How do folks typically work out the shipping costs? I imagine it doesn't cost the same to ship to all parts of the country. Does the seller usually just have a price and then pay those costs themselves? What about the PayPal fees? Same story? Anybody have some general ideas of what it costs to ship a bow to another state?

Thanks in advance!
schrepfer

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
1) Go to your local pro shop and get see if they have an extra box they can spare. Get bubble wrap to surround the bow entirely so the bow is tight in the box. Do this before posting the ad. Buyer doesn't want to hear "I had to find a box to ship it in." also it's an AT rule that an item posted needs to be ready to ship.
2) Add about $40.00 shipping cost to your asking price and post as TYD. If you have a Paypal account, add 3% to your asking price if you're that worried about it. Don't ask anyone to add 3% for paypal fees.
3) If you don't like instruction #2 above. Ship everything to my house and I'll take care of it for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I should probably also see what the pro shops will pay, but I assume that they'll probably low-ball me since I know they'll need to make a profit on it.

Do folks typically like to buy bows with the rest already installed? My bow was set up with a Ripcord ACE Micro-Adjust. The string connecting it is nicely attached to the bow string. I am not quite sure if I should be taking these things apart before selling it, or if it's worth trying to bundle it. Would be nice to sell those two items as a set.

Same story goes for the peep. I have a Speciality 37 S&S peep installed, which was not cheap. Kind of don't want to just give it away. Is there resale value in peeps?

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
View attachment 5039089 View attachment 5039105

Package it like that. Sell it piece by piece and you will get more. Price according to demand of product you have and make sure you insure for the amount you sell it for and I ship in the original box I got bow in and works well. Generally you will loose 20-40% depending on bow and what you are willing to accept. I generally price mine to sell and try not to haggle much.
Shops and pawn shops will give you bottom dollar to mark em up to make money IF they will even buy em anyway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
DO NOT bring the bow to the post office, FedEx, ups stores and buy stuff ie. box, bubble wrap, tape, ect. From them. They will charge you a arm and a leg. Just need a scrap of card board, youtube on how to make a box. Any company will have bubble wrap. And tape. I bought a bow 2 years ago from some one on here. And they paid $100 for everything. Screw that. I pay $25 on average to ship a bow.

Here is a link to a thread I started on how to ship a bow the proper way.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2307107

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you want to remove the rest and peep to sell separately, I'm sure you can bring the bow to your shop, they can put it in the press and remove the peep/rest cable nicely. You could always ask them what they would give you for the bow there, just so you have a low end estimate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had meant to follow-up here.

What's generally the best place to ship with? UPS, FedEx or USPS?
I kind of dread the lines for USPS, but I don't know if they are considerably cheaper, or anything.
Is it generally best to just do ground 5 day delivery?

·
Registered
491 Posts
When I ship an item, I get the weight of it. I then compare prices from USPS, UPS, and FedEx online along with the delivery times (everyone likes something reasonable.. both to and from). Most of the time I have found that USPS is cheaper with items under 40 pounds.

At a past job, they had a deal with UPS where they would get an 80% discount on shipping. I shipped A LOT of stuff out through work and gave accounting the cash for the shipping charges.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
If you work at a company that ships packages. FedEx, ups will be cheaper to ship through your company.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts