Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Occam's Razor
8,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have one yet, but wish to try out some low power scopes to see if I am more relaxed at draw. For those of you who have switched or never started with high power scopes, how much better do you shoot with the lower power?

Do you see the x ok, or not have a need to see the spot so clearly? Do you feel more relaxed? Is your release better etc. etc.?.............ck

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
CK;

It depend what power you are thinking of. 0x, 2x, 3x, 4x? It also depends on your vision, different people will perceive the sight picture/target clairity differently.

But using 2x (no clarifier) as an example, I don't see the target (Vegas) clearly, I only get a slightly magnified view (not enough to see lines on the target). The upside is ther is less percieved movement, so even with the dot/ring/x-hair floating it seems rock solid. Over time though I think it leads to a sloppy shot.

I like the sight picture of a 4x better, more of the gold is in the sight picture, and there is a little more percieved movement in the sight picture - which, I believe, forces me to control the float a little more carefully.

Now 8x lets me see the dancing X, even with a clarifier. But on a bad day, that little X is never still.

Have an old 10-12x - good way of inducing target panic...

;)

-CG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts