Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this evening i will be attending a venison workshop arranged by the DNR and university of Purdue. (butchering, packaging, and cooking tips)

questions i would like to ask are:

(1) hang time and temperature

(2) cooling techniques (hide on or off, etc.)

(3) answer to the "age old" question................wash out cavity with water or not

(4) what to do when you cant check in your deer the same day? (i.e. stations closed after an evening hunt)

most of these are basic questions.................but some ive seen argued at length here and in other forums.

so my question is ? can anyone think of other good questions ?

thanks for the thought and replies to this................yep i'm taking a notebook. i think its pretty cool of them to put on a live demonstration with an actual deer !

camoham

·
Straight Shooter
5,652 Posts
Can you be more specific with your "hang time and temperature" question?

I'm assuming by hang time you mean how many days do you let it hang after you skin it.

The temperature is the question I'm concerned with. Since I don't have a walk in cooler to hang my deer in, as I'm assuming most of us don't, what's the best thing to do when you shoot a deer early in the season when the temperatures may easily be up in the 70s? In the past I've put bags of ice in the chest cavity, and strategically on the hind quarters. Would they suggest coolers with ice in them, or dealing with the significant other and placing body parts in the fridge or is there some other useful trick we can use?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep pakraig.

pretty much what i'm looking for.

how long okay at "x" temperature. not necessarily "days" but if it's 70 in my garage will 12 hours be okay.

prime example last year was my first time butchering. got a young deer on sunday evening. check station closed. low dipped down to 50 that night. got off work early (talked with boss)............rushed to check it in and back to garage began my work. everything looked and tasted good.

took me longer to cut things the way i wanted and package than actually "di-secting" the deer.

guess id like to know some general guidlines.

camoham

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hang the deer by the legs or by the head. Have heard this argued many times.

Does pepper sprinkled on the meat really keep the bugs away?

PAKraig, would also love to hear what they have to say about that. Instead of bags of ice, try milk jugs filled with water then frozen, can change those out when one melts.

Can you post the answeres to these questions when you get done? That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes sir.

my intentions are to print this whole thing (thread and responses by the end of today)............and with me it will go.
like i said before..........im bringing my personal "archery book of knowledge" binder that ive been making for a couple of years.

if fellow AT'ers are interested i will post what i can.

camoham

·
Straight Shooter
5,652 Posts
Frozen milk jugs. I honestly never thought of that. There will be a few in the freezer the night before the PA opener this year. Thanks for the input!

Camoham,

I've been butchering my own deer for all the 15 years I've been hunting. Something I always did with my dad. Also, I put myself through college working in a grocery store meat dept. So I know a lot about it, but I'm always looking for more tips from someone who's been doing it longer.

We'll all look forward to your findings at the workshop.

Kraig

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
I can't understand why anyone leaves the hide on whether they hang it or not. If you want decent tasting meat, you take the hide off right away or as soon as you can. You can't really cool down an animal quickly leaving the hide on. Some people would be amazed how good deer meat can really taste. It blows me away how people care or don't care for an animal once they get it down.

I rarely hang my deer, if so, just overnight most times until I can butcher it. The faster you get the hide off and cool it down and then butcher it, the better the meat will be.

I hunt alone most times or with one or two others. When I get a deer down, I am done hunting. None of us leave a deer hanging around in camp for more than overnight unless it is very cool then 2 nights at the max.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
understand with the hide thing.

one thing to keep in perspective is that different states have diff. rules and regs. regarding handling of a "carcass" untill it has been checked in.

ie in my state

"the deer head must remain attached to the carcass until the tag is attached and locked at the deer check station"

see dilema with previous scenario.

thanx all

camoham

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
camoham said:
understand with the hide thing.

one thing to keep in perspective is that different states have diff. rules and regs. regarding handling of a "carcass" untill it has been checked in.

ie in my state

"the deer head must remain attached to the carcass until the tag is attached and locked at the deer check station"

see dilema with previous scenario.

camoham
Sounds like your main objective then is to check it is as soon as you can. Back there, you should be able to check in the same day or the next?

Skin that sucker up the head then. That is no reason to leave the entire hide on the animal.

I have never had to check a deer in. I just drive home. :D We have rules on evidence of sex as well. But there is no reason to leave the entire hide on.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
exhunter said:
hide on hide off question for hanging would be great....suppose it depend on temps. though

No matter the temp, you get the hide off. You can't really cool down an animal properly without taking it off.

You would be suprised how long an animal stays warm, especially down in the hind quarters next to the bone. Split that pelvis bone and open those quarters up ASAP.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ivorytooth said:
I can't understand why anyone leaves the hide on whether they hang it or not. If you want decent tasting meat, you take the hide off right away or as soon as you can. You can't really cool down an animal quickly leaving the hide on. Some people would be amazed how good deer meat can really taste. It blows me away how people care or don't care for an animal once they get it down.

I rarely hang my deer, if so, just overnight most times until I can butcher it. The faster you get the hide off and cool it down and then butcher it, the better the meat will be.

I hunt alone most times or with one or two others. When I get a deer down, I am done hunting. None of us leave a deer hanging around in camp for more than overnight unless it is very cool then 2 nights at the max.

Then why do aged steaks cost so much more? I try to hang my deer as long as 5-7 days if the temp is above 32 and below 40. If not then I quarter it and let the meat age in a refrigerator at 38.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ivorytooth said:

The hide will go a long way to retaining moisture. I saw a website that was on a Locker's website and they absolutely recommended not removing the hide until the deer was butchere and frozen. Maybe its not a case of people not caring, just a different approach than you

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats a good consideration.............and i will ask'em how to handle that.

checking is indeed a priority (in my state) if youre wanting to get everything taken care of same day, or at least stripped down to the basics. difficult proposition when most of the check stations around me are businesses............and have "business" hours. not much hope for the last light archer.

camoham

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Ishi said:
Then why do aged steaks cost so much more? I try to hang my deer as long as 5-7 days if the temp is above 32 and below 40. If not then I quarter it and let the meat age in a refrigerator at 38.
Hanging tenderizes the meat. You are letting the bacteria present break down the tissue by aging. Aged beef is more tender on average. I am no meat expert, but this is what I understand. It doesn't have much to do with the flavor to me.

Almost all of my deer end up tasting great and if you cook it right, it doesn't get too tough. The way you butcher your meat makes a difference too. Cooking has the most impact on tenderness in my eyes. I have seen deer that was hung for 4 or 5 days end up tough because of the way it was cut up and cooked.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
DeerAnil8r said:
The hide will go a long way to retaining moisture. I saw a website that was on a Locker's website and they absolutely recommended not removing the hide until the deer was butchere and frozen. Maybe its not a case of people not caring, just a different approach than you
Maybe so. Out here you are often a long way from a cooler. You need to cool down an animal fast. That means get the hide off. Most of you guys are only minutes away from a cooler or a butcher. Often, we are hours of hard going in the hills just to get to the truck.

Like I said, you can't believe how long an animal stays warm in the hip joint area and close to the bone on the hindquarters. You need to cool them down fast!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your right Ivory, it breaks down the collagen. Butchering it also makes a big difference. But I think it makes it taste better(its already delicious) also because the collagen taste is usually described as "Gamey". Its all preference I guess. Beats hormone injected beef or pork anyday:wink:

Your right about the hide part also. If you can, get it off as soon as possible and cover with cheesecloth. I rub down the carcass with a little vegetable oil to keep it from drying out before I put on the cheesecloth

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
camoham said:
thats a good consideration.............and i will ask'em how to handle that.

checking is indeed a priority (in my state) if youre wanting to get everything taken care of same day, or at least stripped down to the basics. difficult proposition when most of the check stations around me are businesses............and have "business" hours. not much hope for the last light archer.

camoham
YOu all are really different for sure. Out here the Fish and Game do have checkpoints as you come out of the hills. It isn't required that you find one to check your deer in. But if there is one on your way back home, you must stop. They check many things other than just that you're legal. They collect biological data too.

Everytime I have gotten a deer and came back home, I have never run into these checkpoints.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Ishi said:
Your right Ivory, it breaks down the collagen. Butchering it also makes a big difference. But I think it makes it taste better(its already delicious) also because the collagen taste is usually described as "Gamey". Its all preference I guess. Beats hormone injected beef or pork anyday:wink:
'

To me the quicker I butcher it and cool it down, the less gamey it is. I am very careful and remove all fat as well. Deer fat is horrible tasting!!

I like it when people eat my deer thinking it is elk or even beef depending on what I put the meat in....like stew.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts