Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving for southern Illinois (Gallatin/Hardin counties) on Nov 11th. I will be be hunting the following 6 days with a bow, and then the first 3 day shotgun season. Shoud I expect to see some good rutting activity during those dates? I am thinking of taking a decoy with me. Do you guys use decoys during that time period, and is it a doe or buck decoy? Due to many of the posts on here I will be taking some code blue estrous with me, and hopefully I will have success with it as well. I am just praying that the weather cools down by then. I dont like the idea of hunting with only a sweatshirt on!

·
Registered
705 Posts
hunt

I have never used decoys. I think that if you set up in a good area and the weather cools down then you should have a good week to hunt. the code blue should work well. Lay a scent trail to your stand.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Same boat

Archer2,

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'll be heading to Calhoun County Nov. 12th, bowhunting up to the 19th, then shotgun hunting the first season.

In my experience over the last 7 years, the young bucks start chasing fairly hard the first week of November (and you'll see action everywhere, but it's just the small boys), but the big boys don't come out of the woodwork until the 11th, 12th, 13th. One year it didn't really kick in until about the 20th, when it all broke loose. Again, this has just been my experience...take it for what it's worth. :)

Each year seems to be different, though. I've seen the main rut as early as Halloween...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
784 Posts
archer2 ,

Your first question is easy YES the rut should be hot around that
time. As well the moon phase are great if your into that.

I have hunted quite a lot in IL. some what north of where it seem that you'll be I hunt at least 10 days each year with bow
& some times do Muzz 3 days. This year I'll hunt 14 days with
a bow & 3 with Muzz.
I have used decoy just one day it depends on a lot of things
if you should try it or not. I did have 7 deer respond to it that
one day but all young.

Personally if I had only 6 days to hunt I'd have to think hard
as decoying to work has to have the right setup and then you
have to be quite lucky that some deer your not interested in shooting busting your setup before a good buck comes in.
I'll leave my answer to you like this if your on a paid hunt I'd
suggest using your decoy some other time until you have
learned more about it and can build faith in it when your not spending $$$. Now if your on your own and get a lot of chances
to hunt for good bucks go for it... it will work to a lesser amount
than a grunt or antlers from what I have seen but right place right time & right buck it will work.

As far as the temps I hunt mid western IL. can only tell you that
it gets warmer as you travel south! course you knew that.
Mother nature not talking about the temps but the weather
Man is for what it's worth where we hunt it looks like the weather
is going in the correct direction toward the end of this week.

The hunters I have talked with who have hunted south say the
temps average about 5 to 7 higher than mid state.
I'm sure some one from IL. can better answer that.

I have harvested a 180 class buck using scent, not code blue
how ever. Not to say that code blue is good or bad can't say.

I personally use stuff right from a deer farm direct.

I of course feel that scent works ( SOME OF IT ) but as with anything it's not a sure thing and has to be used correctly.

Well good luck to you don't worry to much about the weather
you can't control it. The best thing you can do to improve your
odds is place your stand well and stay in it all day.

Best Of Luck a huntN friend MXZ.
HAVE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Illinois

Good Advice. I usually sit all day that time of the year. I have a lot of confidence in the areas I will be hunting, but that damn weather makes me paranoid. I hunted in record high temps last year during the first shotgun season, and the movement was terrible. I seen 1 small buck opening morning and that was it. That is very uncommon for the ground I am hunting. I will try the drag line with my code blue. I have never really messed with scents much, but I will see what happens. I have had decent success here in Michigan this season, but now I am ready to go hunt the big boys in Illinois.

·
Registered
199 Posts
weather sucks! weather sucks! weather sucks! I just got back from hanging another stand and just about got carried away by the skeeters! It is hot and muggy! I hunt in Jackson Co. and the weather forcast is highs in the 70's for the rest of this week and into next! The longest I could get a forcast for said next Tues. the high was supposed to be around 61, so that's heading in the right direction. Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't use decoys while deer hunting, but I would advise against using it during the gun season. The "Orange Army" will shoot darn near anything so I would not take the risk of having slugs thrown my way.
The weather is warmer this year and from what I have seen the rut is a little slower to come in. Should still be decent when you get to Illinois.
Hope you hvae good luck and be careful.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Illinois

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Actually the weather has been decent in Michigan so far. Off and on as usual for this state. I have had some bad experiences with decoys spooking deer, and I am a little gun shy on using one. I will be watching the weather close prior to my leaving, and hopefully a cold front comes through. I would much rather worry about how I will stay warm rather than if it's too warm for the deer to move. I always look forward to hunting Illinois because of the great deer quality compared to areas of Michigan that I hunt. I can put some real nice spike horn bucks in front of you guys here in Michigan. We are also well known for our Boone & Crockett gray squirrels!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.