Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New guy here, i have some questions. I am interested in olympic archery. In my club i was told to begin barebow style and then i will upgrade to full olympic when ready. I am not economically flexible enough to buy a good riser so my first will be a kinetic Arios (CNC Machined, anodyzed). If in the next months i am good enough and i do not suck at archery i will buy a good riser. My draw length is 28'' and my first limbs will be about 25 lbs. After some introductory lessons i began more serious ones. I used to have in the beggining, square stance but i was told yesterday that i did not have good full draw so i should change it to open stance style.

This messed up my bowhand position today and i seem to hit the string on my hand 80% of the time. I was told that i should lower my shoulder and keep turning my elbow.
This made me anxious but i suppose i will get used to it and change/adapt/improve my technique?

If anyone has any feedback on my riser, lessons, advice and anything really i will be very grateful.

·
Registered
Elite Gt500, Elite Envy, Reign 6
1,990 Posts
Archery is not something you get good at quickly. Takes a lot of practice and working on form. Have realistic expectations when first starting out and have patience.

·
Registered
22,563 Posts
The thought process behind starting bare bow and close to your backstop is to shift focus from accuracy to simply ingraining proper form. Since you are new, you are wise to have an experienced FITA archer help build your foundations.....stance, alignment, bow hand, bow arm/shoulder, anchor and dynamic release. Trying variations to techniques is fine, but I would recommend watching some Youtube videos of the top Olympic archers....typically South Koreans these days. When I shot and competed in FITA archery over 40 years ago, Americans such as Darrell Pace and Rick McKinney were at the top of the podium.....go back and look at their form as well. As mentioned, it is going to take a significant time investment to develop your form.....more so that simply buying better equipment.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
^^^^this^^^^ and don't take it too seriously, it's supposed to be fun!
Take look at how you grip the bow with bow hand. Your knuckles should be at 45°ish to the riser centre line. It may help with string contact.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,935 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I’ll add while it sounds good don’t skimp on the gear junk in junk out. You will pick up a ton of bad habits just making cheep work.

Learned this in skeet a good fitting gun makes you shoot better, but takes up to a year to kick the bad habits from the one that didn’t fit and improve beyond what the score was with the bad fit. Makes you feel like you wasted money and time till you bust a dubble 25 and start hitting 25 repeatedly a year later

Same with bows I just started with a good one. People laughed since I was an idiot but I didn’t was time making a bad bow shoot good I made a good bow shoot better.

Yours is probably fine I don’t track Olympic gear but don’t wast time on something that doesn’t work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice! I will check the forum more and be more active. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome! As everyone else has said, practice practice practice, then practice some more. I get great joy out of just shooting, so try to have fun with it and make it enjoyable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts