Archery Talk Forum banner

Questions on buying a bow

750 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Buckeroo
I used to have an account on here under KyleS, I just got back from Afghanistan and can't even remeber my password so I made a new one. I'll soon be out of the service and have been hunting with my 93 Hoyt Super Slam since I was 13 and as hard as it is to get a new bow I am ready for something a little more modern (quieter and less weight):). I've been talking to a few guys on here about buying ones used including a very good looking drenalin but was also looking at a few of the Cabelas line bows. I was wondering what your oppinions are on bows. I am very sorry if I am way out of it and there have been a lot of posts on this like I said I have been in the middle of nowhere for 15 months and am a little out of the game lol. Thank you in advance for all your help.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
Hey Bud your getting your moneys worth huh:darkbeer:

IMHO you can get more bow for 400 than you ever have been able too. They are fast and quite and have most eveything you would expect from the 800 dollar bows! Start in that price range and save yourself some coin! Cabelas uses EXCELLENT COMPANIES to build their line! They have excllent deals but with the name Cabelas on it you wont be able to get much resale! Here some I would look at

PSE BRUTE,STINGER
BEAR LIGHTS OUT
DIMONDS' THE ROCK
REFLEX LINE ALL OF THEM
BOWTECH TOMCAT

THAT SHOULD GET YOU STARTED.

NOW IMO THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO IS LOOK FOR 07 MODELS THAT ARE NEW IN THE BOX! THEN YOU GET THE TOP OF THE LINE BOW WITH THE MID LEVEL PRICE:wink:

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I wish I hadnt just sold my 07 Tribute. I'd make ya a heck of a deal on it. There's several Tributes in the ads. Seems kinda fitting that you should get one of them. I'm sure someone would make you a great deal considering your time spent serving our country! Thanks so much for your time served. Tom

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
I wish I hadnt just sold my 07 Tribute. I'd make ya a heck of a deal on it. There's several Tributes in the ads. Seems kinda fitting that you should get one of them. I'm sure someone would make you a great deal considering your time spent serving our country! Thanks so much for your time served. Tom
Man he just got back froma place where things that explode are common now why would he want a bow that does it????

JJ:wink: bow tech makes great rigs and they support our troops with money and bows!

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
oh I know you didnt. :eek: what do you think is better? the massive hoyt paperweights? You gotta be specific when describing a hoyt. if you say 50# they dont know if it's the physical weight or the draw weight. :wink:

· Registered
829 Posts
thank you!!!

and cookie is right, you can get a lot of bow for a little price. one brand he left out is Martin. they have a really good selction in the cheaper price range.

· Registered
756 Posts
As others have said, Thank you so much for your service to our country. Because of brave men like you, we have the right to hunt in this great land. I recently went through this decision myslef. I had an old High Country. There are about three bows I seriously looked at. Bowtech, Mathews, and Hoyt. I shot all three bows and they are all great. I have not shot the Elite but have read and heard great things about them. IMO you can't go wrong with any of these brands. I bought a Bowtech and love it but I'm sure I would have loved the others as well. Thanks agian and Good luck on your decision.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies and support. To be honest I didn't realize that there were that many good bows out there now. But what I'm getting from this is I need to just go shoot them and see what I like best not just order one? Also in researching them I've been noticing that the cams on them seem much milder than the ones of a few years past and that was one thing I always disliked about newer bows was the rough draw that cams gave them, am I just seeing things or have they gotten a lot smoother?

· Registered
1,002 Posts
There are alot of great bows out there now and yes alot of them are easier and smoother to draw. If you can try several at different shops to see what you think. You can find great deals on bows here in the classifieds. You won't get a manufacturers warranty with the bow but you will quite often get a bow for half the price of new. I sent you a private message with some info.

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,684 Posts
Thank you all for the replies and support. To be honest I didn't realize that there were that many good bows out there now. But what I'm getting from this is I need to just go shoot them and see what I like best not just order one? Also in researching them I've been noticing that the cams on them seem much milder than the ones of a few years past and that was one thing I always disliked about newer bows was the rough draw that cams gave them, am I just seeing things or have they gotten a lot smoother?
YEP GO SHOOTEM. Thats the only way to get a feel ! Dont let dealers sell you on the Highest end bow they got! Each bow has its own specialty be it quite fast or shock free so see what you like best! Good luck

· Registered
988 Posts
Elite!!

+2 Elite Archery. Best Bows on the market IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.