Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, my second attempt...

Greetings from a new kid on the block!

I have an old York bow from the 1950's with the following nomenclature stamped on the belly of the bow.

FL 56 and then below that, 24. I'm guessing it means series FL, made in 1956, with a draw weight of 24 pounds.

Anybody out there familiar with this information?

I would attach some similar pictures to this post, but I do not know how. It's all geek to me. Time to go shoot some errors, er, arrows...good loosing, everyone!

·
Registered
20,553 Posts
wooly -

I haven't shot a York bow and have only seen a few. That's not to say they weren't good bows, just not popular in my neck of the woods.

See if this helps:

http://www.archeryarchives.com/Yyorktable.htm

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you find anything out please post. I have a York Cresent marked on the riser ... No . GBF2 50# 28'' 4318 60. .... Mine is just a model number etc: but I am curious about yours. I would like to find some of the very early York models. Many Thanks !

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you, I will check it out.

I shoot my York bow as well as many other vintage bows I have collected over the years. I tap on the wood with my knuckle, sometimes you can feel/hear a crack. I string the old bows ( glass wood) up if the structure looks good and let them sit for an hour. Then I draw them back 1/4 draw several times and let them sit for a few min. Then I draw them back 1/2 draw 100 times, then 3/4 and full draw, and then I go shooting.... I take much more time with all wood bows. They will break if you get in a hurry.

There may be better ways to bring a bow back to life, but that is how an old archer/ friend/ neighbor taught me to do it and so far so good. Enjoy your York !

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To FL Archer

Thanks for the good advice on slowly testing the old York. I've a nephew that might be able to draw this bow. What a way to start someone traditional, eh? I will test it very carefully...don't want the lad getting hurt.

Good Loosing!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts