Archery Talk Forum banner

Questions on when to use and when not?

378 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  BOE_Hunter
I live in east central minnesota and have been waiting on a shot on the big buck on the property I have been hunting. Anyways I will get to the point when should I start using my rattling antlers and grunt calls? I am going on saturday oct 4th is this too early??
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
I personally think it's too early. I don't use them until the third week of October. I could be wrong though, maybe they'll investigate a grunt call, but I think it's too early to rattle.

· Registered
8,628 Posts
If you use them, use them lightly, just tink the antlers, don't clash them together. Use soft grunts and sparringly. It can be a good tool if you use them like a light sparring match with young bucks.

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Early season is a good time to rattle. I may wait a week or so, but not long. Over the years I tried soft light rattling and smashing them together. Personally I have had much more success making noise. Seems to get more attention.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Usually wait til mid october, have tried earlier and haven't seen much, no rules in this game so have at it. Like mentioned ,think a light approach would be better. Goodluck!:darkbeer:

· Registered
130 Posts
I was out scouting two weeks ago and watched a couple of yearlings mess around play fighting. The bigger more mature bucks didn't even pay attention to them yet. I like the idea of maybe soft rattleing just to get their attention. They are usually in bachelor groups right now and I don't think horns make them react much at all yet, give it 2-4 weeks and it could be a different story.

· That's a bear track!
29,022 Posts
If you use them, use them lightly, just tink the antlers, don't clash them together. Use soft grunts and sparringly. It can be a good tool if you use them like a light sparring match with young bucks.
This has worked for me too. Light tickling.

Can't remember the name of the manufacturer but there is a call out there called the "Buck Bawl"...came to me...WoodsWise is the maker. Had good luck with it in the early season...small bucks that responded to it though.

· Registered
5,185 Posts
I hunt near Princeton and haven't tried any rattling. You may want to start making some mock scrapes and putting one the Wildlife Research Centers daytime scent drippers over them. They release the scent only during the day and the bucks will take over the scrapes in no time. This may be a better low key lure compared to rattling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.