Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how many of you folks use a bow sling but last year by the end of the day my arm felt like it was going to fall off. We were hiking on average 12 miles of steep elk country per day and I was carrying the bow. So I saw a guy using a sling on one of the hunting shows and that got me thinking. About an hour later I had built this one. They are pretty easy to built you need some strapping material and 2 buckles that will hold the loop on each end of the sling (I did sew one end). I also sewed a pad in the middle and embellished it with some no-slip shelf liner just so it would stay on my shoulder better. What do you all think are these things worth having? I'm not sure I'll be using it all the time, but for those long walks out in the dark it looks rather handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
for longer hikes, they do help. I built mine out of paracord. Here's a pic of it. I need to add a little wider area around the shoulder as it does cut into the shoulder a little bit but it isn't bad.

IMG_0392.jpg

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx for sharing, looks like you can shoot with yours left on the bow. Anyone else out there use a sling?

·
Registered
344 Posts
You could possibly shoot with it on. I haven't tried it yet. It's two quick buckles to release and it's off the bow.

·
Registered
313 Posts
for longer hikes, they do help. I built mine out of paracord. Here's a pic of it. I need to add a little wider area around the shoulder as it does cut into the shoulder a little bit but it isn't bad.

View attachment 1747706
How many feet of paracord did it take to build the sling? Looks like a lot to me! Good job, BTW!

·
Registered
344 Posts
There's about 100' of paracord in that sling! Takes a bit of time to weave it all together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
bckhntr what kind of buckles did you use? I've done 2 rifle slings like that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the other pictures. How long did you make it? I've done 2 rifle slings like that and it uses a ton of paracord.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I made a bowsling for a guy once that used one of those trigger snap key holders. I sewed a loop of webbing to it that could be attached to the front of his pack shoulder strap and hang just below his armpit. It clips to the D-loop. I also had the idea of adding a couple inches of rubber tubing that fit snuggly over the trigger. It made it really easy to reach across with your drawing hand and release the bow from the ring. It was the poor man's Balcom bowsling. Sorry, but I don't have any pics of it though.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks cool to me, are those fake leaves on your bow?
Yes they are I cut them out of Velcro foam fabric which is kind of stiff and then I used a marker to add some detain and stuffed them into the riser with about half sticking out on both sides.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds cool though

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the other pictures. How long did you make it? I've done 2 rifle slings like that and it uses a ton of paracord.
Mine is 61 inches from end of buckle to end of buckle. From the end of the buckle to where the joining buckle comes up, that is 10 inches. From where the joining buckle comes up from the sling to the end of that buckle is three inches.

I made it so that with it slung around my shoulder the grip of my bow is about where my hand is when hanging down.

ETA: The buckles are 1.25 inch wide. I ran three lines for the core of the sling.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I made a bowsling for a guy once that used one of those trigger snap key holders. I sewed a loop of webbing to it that could be attached to the front of his pack shoulder strap and hang just below his armpit. It clips to the D-loop. I also had the idea of adding a couple inches of rubber tubing that fit snuggly over the trigger. It made it really easy to reach across with your drawing hand and release the bow from the ring. It was the poor man's Balcom bowsling. Sorry, but I don't have any pics of it though.

I had put that on mine as well but the problem for me was that the sling needed to be shorter for that to work well for me so I just stuck with the buckles

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had put that on mine as well but the problem for me was that the sling needed to be shorter for that to work well for me so I just stuck with the buckles
I made sure to keep the webbing short so that it did not hang too low. Being short, it also keeps it out of the way of your bow string. I've been using a Balcom for over 10 years now, and I knew that the higher it rode, the more comfortable the carry. The pack carries all the weight anyway. Another advantiage of this single point style of sling, is there is nothing attached to the bow. It only takes a heartbeat to reach across with your drawing hand and hit the trigger, and the bow is released. The rubber tubing on the trigger ensures you have a nice large trigger to eliniate fumbling. The two point slings posted above require you to release two attachment points and then keep track of your sling or drop it to the ground.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made sure to keep the webbing short so that it did not hang too low. Being short, it also keeps it out of the way of your bow string. I've been using a Balcom for over 10 years now, and I knew that the higher it rode, the more comfortable the carry. The pack carries all the weight anyway. Another advantiage of this single point style of sling, is there is nothing attached to the bow. It only takes a heartbeat to reach across with your drawing hand and hit the trigger, and the bow is released. The rubber tubing on the trigger ensures you have a nice large trigger to eliniate fumbling. The two point slings posted above require you to release two attachment points and then keep track of your sling or drop it to the ground.
This is assuming you have a D-loop, I'm a finger shooter so I like the idea but a D-loop just gets in my way. I suppose I might be able to come up with a clamp system that would work similarly but for this season I'll stick with the one I built to see if it's even worth having.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got back from a week long Elk hunt and having one of these was critical. The one day I forgot it my arms felt like they were going to fall off. this is really nice on those long walks back to the camp in the dark!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Never used one of these. When you carry your bow with them, is the sling over your head on the opposite shoulder, or over the same shoulder that the bow is under? Make sense?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts