Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at lunch I had to run to my proshop to get my peep sight fixed, and while I was there a guy walked in and said he needed some arrows. The owner asked him what kind and he said, "I don't care", then he just grabbed one out of a bucket of random arrows and said, "one like this".

Our season opens tomorrow, I sure hope he has time to paper tune his broadheads...

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
I have a co-worker that told me he took 16 shots over his gun deer season! I aske how many deer he got and he said zero! My pa taught us not to shoot unless we were sure we'd kill it. Wonder who taught him?:confused:

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Opening day of shotgun season last year I was in my stand about an hour before light. This was private property that I was hunting with permission. During that hour 5 guys came in and stood, all within seeing distance of each other and myself. By 8:30 that morning they had fired 31 shots with no deer to show for it. I was glad I was up higher than them but I still got the hell outta there and made plenty of noise doing so. Never hunted there again.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
My Dad works in a large Sporting Goods store here in ND. He has endless stories like this. Here are a few

A guy bought a Rem model 700 and brings it back into the store the third day of rifle season "This thing doesn't shoot straight" My dad asks "What distance is it sighted for?" He says "Didn't sight it in, you used the bore sight to get it on". (basically like paper tuning a bow and going hunting)

"I need a box of bullets". (guy says it opening morning)

"I shot my deer at 450 yards on the run"-
My Dad looks at the guy and says "I usually stop running before I shoot."

"A case stuck in the chamber of my 30-06"
My Dad says "Thats because its a .270"

Gun stories but hey you get the idea.

And this might be my personal favorite.

One of the guys working was test shooting a bow. A customer came up and he laid the bow down on the counter. (mistake) Another customer walked by, picked it up, drew and yes you guessed it fired it! No accident. The bow somehow stayed together, the string didn't even come off. So my Dad said to the guy "what are you doing?" He says "Well I don't like the way that one feels and man is it loud"

· Registered
102 Posts
When I moved into the city a few years ago, I went to the local Meijer's store the day before gun season to get my son a box of slugs for his new 20 ga. (we had shot the only 5 we had at a target.) While I was in line with my 1 box of slugs (5 shells) a man walks up behind me with all the boxes of slugs he could carry. I would say at least 15 boxes. I asked the man if he was buying shells for his entire deer camp. He politely told me, "No, these are all mine. I shot more than this last year!!" I said you have to be kidding right? "Not at all where I hunt it is so thick you get a lot of good SOUND shots off. What is a sound shot?? "YOu know where you hear them running in the brush so you just have to shoot at it!!! I then asked where he was hunting. "Why would you ask me that? Are you going to try and hunt there he said" NO!! I told him. I want to stay as far away from there as possible.

Sounds unbelievable but this is a Very scarry TRUE story.

· RuffLight and Bsquare
16,938 Posts
Well, my brother.... unbeknownst to me...
Walked in to fleet farm and asked what's a good bow.
They handed him a PSE...no problem there...

But, they never asked his draw length, poundage, etc...
and he didn't know.....complete newbieeeeeeeee

He has a 28" draw and bought a 30" bow at 70lbs...
Plus he's left eye dominate and shooting it right handed...
Need less to say, its painful to watch, but he's too cheap to get a bow that fits!

· Registered
3,137 Posts
Anybody else have stories like this?
sort of, our season starts in 17 days. I stopped over to my pro shop yesterday and a guy dropped of a bow to have it work on. This thing had to be over 35 years old. There was no name on the bow, it had no accessories on it. So the string/cable was shot (weird:tongue:)

The guy wanted it fixed to hunt with this year. So my shop owner being the nice guy he is tries to locate the problem. He does find the problem, and to be honest I couldn't even begin to tell the piece that was broke. So he thumbs through his catalogs, and cannot find this piece, which i expected.

He calls the guy up, tells him they don't make the piece anymore, and the guy doesn't believe him:eek:

· Registered
9,011 Posts
Had a guy here at work ask me a week ago where he could get a left hand bow, since he's left handed, because he wanted to try archery hunting out. Today he tells me he couldn't find one so he bought a right hand instead. :confused:, season opens Saturday for him.:rolleyes:

· Registered
297 Posts
3 of my favorites. . .

girl (not hot) walks up behind me and a buddy at midnight before opening day, (i know i know we forgot to get our archery liscense), and asks if were getting our liscenses (duh. . . no were standing in line for a price check) and procedes to tell us "her and her boyfriend spend over 50 dollars today on arrows broadheads and other hunting stuff"

guy is buying a gun at dicks. . . says oh yeah i need some bullets, salesman shows him a selection, hey says gimme one of each ill use those 150 grain to sight it in and those 175 grains hollow pointers to hunt with. . .

and the only time ive ever wanted to punch another hunter in the nose. . .
were standing in a local store we dont go to very often (killing time while the girls were shopping) and a guy walks in and starts talkin to us and the owner. . . long story short he says he got caught shooting from the road years ago and they took his 1,200 gun with a 500 dollar scope. . . but thats ok hes smart now " i got me a 200 doller truck and a 100 doller gun!"

HERES YOUR SIGN!:pukey:

· Registered
474 Posts
Ok I got one. My good friend god bless his big city heart has no idea what hes doing when he goes hunting. But I try to help yet never seem to get thru. But being the good friend I am I still take him along anytime he asks to my private land. Last year I pick him up, we head out, when we get there he asks if I have a target. No i say buy I have a small box. He takes it out fires a shot with his bow in the dark, hits it barely and says" Yep still on from last year". Yet misses deer that day three times and wonders why. And better yet opening day of muzzleloader he comes out at lunch, says hes gonna fire a shot for practice. After he shoots he loads it up again, looks at me and goes "whoever says you can't leave a muzzleloader loaded from the previous year ain't ever shot this mule". :eek: I pretty much use him to push deer. I figure out where hes going and try to work around it:wink:

· Registered
129 Posts
One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in our archery clubs agrees to take a guy on a late season rifle cow elk hunt. The guys goes through all but 2 shells in a box. All clean misses, none even close. So with 2 shells left he connects at about 100 yards. The elk beds down after about 100 yards. Then they are able to sneak in to about 20 yards and finish her off. The best part is he has every shot on video.

· Arrow-minded Conservative
3,308 Posts
"Not at all where I hunt it is so thick you get a lot of good SOUND shots off. What is a sound shot?? "YOu know where you hear them running in the brush so you just have to shoot at it!!! I then asked where he was hunting. "Why would you ask me that? Are you going to try and hunt there he said" NO!! I told him. I want to stay as far away from there as possible.

This is EXACTLY why I take my sons hunting ONLY during the archery season! It is also the reason my wife didn't want the boys hunting at all. "Dumb yahoos just shooting at sounds" was how she put it.

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I take my sons hunting ONLY during the archery season! It is also the reason my wife didn't want the boys hunting at all. "Dumb yahoos just shooting at sounds" was how she put it.
IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE SAME GUY !
About 30 yrs. ago we were headed to MI. for deer season(gun) and that same story was said at an all night resturant .
Well being a loud mouth, I said about the same thing you did to them(4) and they jumped my case for being from OH. and too young to be in the woods etc.etc.
When we got in the truck to leave they came out and started yelling at us so I made my buddy stop the truck and I got out and showed them what a big farm boy was all about. two of them will never shoot at sounds again, at least thats what they promised me to get me to stop beating on them.
By the way I don't gun hunt in MI. anymore.

3,308 Posts
"Not at all where I hunt it is so thick you get a lot of good SOUND shots off. What is a sound shot?? "YOu know where you hear them running in the brush so you just have to shoot at it!!! I then asked where he was hunting. "Why would you ask me that? Are you going to try and hunt there he said" NO!! I told him. I want to stay as far away from there as possible.

3,308 Posts
?????

Don't ask why that posted twice.

I have no idea what happened.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.